The Next Video Competition:

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
cozmoss

The Next Video Competition:

Post by cozmoss »

I just wondered if anyone can tell me when the next amatuer video/fim competition is. I seem to recall reading it somewere "Is It In November ?" can someone let me know please :)
Dave Watterson

Re: The Next Video Competition:

Post by Dave Watterson »

Hi Cozmoss

Erm ... there are a lot of competitions for amateur film makers - international ones in other countries as well as home-grown national and regional ones. You can find a diary of them on the main website:
http://www.theiac.org.uk/central/diary09-b.html and a list of competitions sorted by closing date, entry date etc at http://www.theiac.org.uk/events/forthco ... ivals.html

You may be thinking of the Guernsey Lily Festival which starts next weekend. The competition part is over and the winners have been announced but the celebratory screenings start on the 16th of this month.

The North v South competition has a closing date of 31st October but that is for clubs not individuals.
If you are over 58 years old the Senior Forum in the Czech Republic has a closing date of mid November.

The next really big one is the IAC International (often known as BIAFF) whose closing date is the end of January.

Dave
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

You can find all the event dates on these pages of the IAC website - (this one is for this month, October)

http://www.theiac.org.uk/central/diary09-b.html#oct

There is also a page where events are listed by their entry closing dates.

Events take place all over the country - and world of course - and each has its own 'flavour'.

Some competitions are not necessarily for individual entries though - for example the North v South (first round in November) is for films made by clubs and groups (at least three people from the club must be involved in its making), and entries for Unica are selected by a UK Un ica committee from all the films shown in various other competitions.

Added... Bah!! Pipped to the post by Dave. I will have to get up earlier ...
cozmoss

Post by cozmoss »

:) Cheers guy's :)
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Not perhaps an obvious fit for this topic ... but it is a place to report quickly that at the Tallinn Festival which takes place later this month:
Commitment
Rent-a-mate
Blood Lake

will each receive a Special Prize of the Estonian Film Amateurs Union.

-Dave
cozmoss

Post by cozmoss »

Hi again Mike, to qoute you from a previous post "for example the North v South (first round in November) is for films made by clubs and groups (at least three people from the club must be involved in its making)," I and two other friends produced the docmentry; are we not considered a group ?
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Yes, I guess you would be a group. I should have also mentioned that the NvS competition each year has to be to a themed topic specified at the announcement of the winner each year in January. This year's theme is 'Trapped', and the closing date is Oct 30th. All entries from the South are judged together, all entries from the North are judged together. The top ten from each region are shown at a venue in both the South and the North - in the South, that venue is at Farnborough (Kent) Village Hall. The top five as selected by the judges go through to compete with the top five from the other region. In dependent judges then pick the best one out of the ten finalists - at the Finals show, held at the same time and day in both the North and South, no one knows who the winner is except the organiser in each region and of course, the judge. So it's a 'nail-biter' to see whether a) the trophy has been brought to the region and if so b) which film won it.

Thus, it isn't a competition that will accept any film - it must be to the specified theme (I think there is a time limit as well, but not sure about that), and usually but not always, the winning film is a comedy or drama. Rarely (I've never seen it happen) a documentary I'm afraid.

Your best bet is to see when your next County competition is, I think - and also go for BIAFF, which has a section for documentaries.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Still off-topic ... but consistently so ...

If I have correctly understood our Estonian friend, this is the list of films to be shown at the Tallinn Festival on 24th October. I hope our overseas readers will forgive me for highlighting the UK entries.

Braving the elements. 14 min. Kay Bamford-Burnell, Great Britain, C
My favourite school. 4 min. Children Studio “Raduga”, Russia. A.
Orange pieces. 6 min. Jana Dolgitskaja, stuudio “Kanutiaia”, Estonia.A.
Blood Lake. 7 min. Paul Bagshaw, Great Britain.C.
For better and worse. 13 min. Sakari Mäkelä, Finland.C.
Behind the Shutters. 11 min. Miklos Keleti, Belgium.B.
Rent-A-Mate. 19 min. Nigel Barton, Britain.C.
Joes trap.1 min. Robin Alexander Stal. Sweden.C.
Drawn to you.4 min.Emil Gustafsson Ryderup, Sebastian Berlin. Sweden. B.
The Teddy Bears. 8.30 min. Charles Costa, France.C.
Last Night. 8 min.Eileen Byrne, Germany.B.
State of Emergency. 8 min. Markus Hyvärinen, Finland.C.
Teeth. 4 min. Dan Cerny, Czech Republic.C.
Speed Limit. 5.18 min. Robert Hanousek, Czech Republic. C.
Clint. 4 min. Florian Gregor, Philipp Scholz, Germany.C.
Private Life. 15.49. Abbe Robinson, England.C.
Too fast. 9.49 min. Ignas Kancys, Vilnius, Lithuania A.
Angels die in the soil. 30 min. Babak Amini, Iran. C.
Vertep was coming. 3.48 min. Studio “Vesnjanka”. Ukraine.A.
Rainbow angel 7 min. Anna Kasten, Germany. C.
Dream and awakenings. 12 min. David Baudry, France.C.
Got a Coin?. 8 min.Loic Nicoloff, France.C.
Under the Lucky Star 11.33 min. Polina Tikunova, Nikita Panjuškin, stuudio “Meksvideo”. Estonia.A.
Burst 11 min.Dan Robert Andersson, Mario Castro Sepulveda Sweden.C.
The Boy, the Bike, and the Apple. 4.30 min. Robin Whenary, Great Britain.C.
Tickets please. 14 min. Antonio Regueiro, Spain.C.
Peanuts. 10.30 min., Hans Schober, Switzerland.C.
About the sanitary technician Potapov 2.21 min. Fjodor Sychevskiji, studio “Rovesnik”, Estonia.A.
Thibaut. 17.20 min. Martti Helde, BFM, Estonia.B.
Nasty Dream. 21.30 min, Dovile Sarutyte, Lithuania.B.
Everything flows. 8 min. Edyta Turczanik, Poland.C.
Ambulance. 15.22 min.Alan Paule, Nor Domingo, Philippines.C.
It wasn`t God`s will/. 15 min. Antonio Ferreira, Portugal.
Where Time Stands Still. Sonja Steger, Austria.C.
Fallen Leaves/. 14.30 min. Terry Tkachuk, Alan Robinson, John James, Karen Cherrington, Neville Withers.Great Britain.C.
Maurice Maggi – Florale anarchist. 18.47 min. Switzerland.C.

The letters refer to the category of the entry in the competition. A = film makers up to 18 years old, B = film students and C = all other amateur film makers.

I have been lucky enough to see some of the others at festivals including BIAFF and can assure anyone who might be in the area, they are well worth seeing.
Dave