CIAFF - Canadian International Amateur Film Festival

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Dave Watterson

CIAFF - Canadian International Amateur Film Festival

Post by Dave Watterson »

Just in:
AMATEUR - Narrative

First Place “Das Blinde Kreuz” (The Blind Cross) Switzerland Clip Club
Second Place “Retro-Cine” (Grandpa's Cinema) France Jeannick & Pierre Michel
Third Place “Die Puppe” (The Doll) Germany Markus Siebler

AMATEUR - Documentary

First Place “Will Ye Go To Flanders?” Belgium Willy Van der Linden

Second Place “On The Road To Passschendaele” Belgium Willy Van der Linden

Third Place “Braving The Elements” England Kay Bamford-Burnell

AMATEUR - Animation

First Place "Attack of the Vortagons" England Laurie Calvert, Laurie Calvert Jnr, Jonathan Calvert

Many congratulations to all the winners - but special cheers for IAC members Willy Van der Linden, Kay Bamford-Burnell, Laurie Calvert and his sons.

-Dave
Willy

Re: CIAFF - Canadian International Amateur Film Festival

Post by Willy »

Many thanks for your kind words, Dave. It was a big surprise. I entered my two films because they were made in 2007/2008 and 2008/2009. Not earlier.

Some friends may wonder why I don't write so many messages on this forum anymore. Be sure I am not irritated by something. I always write "Aus der Seele" (from the heart) which is not good. When I don't agree with something then I fear that friends may have the impression that I am moaning all the time and that's something that I don't want to do. This forum is not a Wailing Wall.

In a few weeks I am going to Guernsey to attend the Lily Festival. This year I was asked to judge the films in the "finale". It was quite an experience. Last week I went to England together with 15 other members of my club called "Focus Vaartland". We received an invitation of the Hayward's Heath Movie Makers" (West Sussex). We had a wonderful time. The HHMM were very kind and hospitable. We offered them Belgian chocolates. We received a trophy. It was a tankard (a pint) with the name of the Haywards Heath Movie Makers in it. We are very pleased with it and we will fill it with Belgian beer on our next clubnight. The Haywards Heath Movie Makers are celebrating their 50th anniversary. My own club is 49. We enjoyed the English atmosphere. We enjoyed the films made by the HHMM and we hope they enjoyed our programme.

I also know that the Scottish Association of Moviemakers (SAM) are celebrating their 60th anniversary. They asked me to send a short speech. In it I sing the song called "Loch Lomond". Awful ! I mean my voice.

In Guernsey the travelogue "Guernsey, I Love You" will be shown out of competition. The film was made by Peter Rouillard and me, but also Mary Rouillard contributed to it in a fantastic way.

In the mean time I have almost finished three films anno 2009 and a fourth one has still to be done. My second club thought of making a club film. I was asked to do the camera work (a period of three weeks). It was a film about euthanasia. More and more we felt that the members of the club were not interested in it anymore. The film has become an individual project in the mean time. That is quite a relief. Sometimes it's difficult for me to say "no". Now I feel relaxed again. Some scenes would have been filmed in my bedroom, sitting-room and kitchen. My wife Vera agreed with it. She was even willing to prepare sandwiches. At last the film crew would consist of 10 members + 4 partners. The man who took the initiative was over-enthusiastic. 7 people in our flat is enough my wife said in a determined way. She was right. Also the chairman of my club understood. As you see it is not simple to make a clubfilm. A film crew of only a few people is enough. The film crew for the acting scenes in the Guernsey film consisted of only 6 people (actors included). We are hobbyists. We are not professionals. We are proud of being real hobbyists !
Willy Van der Linden
Dave Watterson

Re: CIAFF - Canadian International Amateur Film Festival

Post by Dave Watterson »

If you want an independent view of the evening Willy's club, Focus Vaartland, put on when they visited Haywards Heath check out this: http://www.southdownsfilmclub.org.uk/clubtalk.html - comments on the South Downs club website.
-Dave