Festivals

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
ned c

Festivals

Post by ned c »

What are the readers experiences with entering Festivals outside the established n-c circuit? On the few occasions I have entered "outside" festivals I haven't even received the courtsey of an acknowledgement or rejection but they always seem to be able to cash my checks with great speed! Any recommendatios for Festivals that treat the entrants at least with some degree of courtesy?

ned c
Willy

Re: Festivals

Post by Willy »

ned c wrote:What are the readers experiences with entering Festivals outside the established n-c circuit?
Any recommendations for Festivals that treat the entrants at least with some degree of courtesy?
ned c
AMPS
Your own festival AMPS (American Motion Picture Society) is really excellent, Ned. Maybe it sounds like flattering, but it is true. The entry fees are cheap. I think only $8 for members and $12 for non-members. The participants receive the judges' comments. The winners receive a certificate with a luxurious effect (gold seal and real signatures) or a special trophy (a gold disk with engraved names and titles). Everybody receives word of thanks etc... Of course it is not a festival outside the established n-c circuit. It's the world's longest running film and video festival. An other very good thing : I also received a compilation disk with the award-winning films which is something extra and very useful. You can use it in your club and thanks to it you can organise two or three very interesting clubnights.

Guernsey Lily International Film Festival
This is real cajolery. That's what you may think now. It is true that I know the Rouillards (=organisers) very well, but nobody will refute my claim that it is the world's friendliest film festival for n-c-filmmakers. You will receive more than one copy of the judges'comments. The winners receive non-kitschy awards and even money prizes if they attend the festival. You can take the awards home. They're yours. The entry fees are in pound sterling and ... in euros or dollars ! A trip to Guernsey is always an adventure. The little island in the Atlantic Ocean has a special atmosphere, but you can easily get there by ferry or plane. There is one disadvantage : they have their own chocolates, but the Belgian ones are still better.

Senior Festival in Czech Republic
But, of course, Ned, ... that was not your question. A festival outside the n-c-circuit is the Senior Festival in the Czech Republic for filmmakers over 58 years old. I know that maybe you and some other friends are against an age category, but the organisers are very kind, in particular a Mr. Ladislav. He thanks you for your participation. So there is some degree of courtesey. He and his friends do their utmost. Unfortunately you don't get any judges'comments which is essential in my opinion.

Ebensee and its teddy-bears
I think that next time I will take part in the Festival of Nations, but I am still a bit "traumatized" by something that happened some years ago. Dave Watterson will be angry with me now ... because he always makes a lot of publicity for the Festival of Nations. In Chesterfield for instance he was wearing a Scottish kilt, but also his T-shirt to promote the Austrian Festival at Ebensee. I had the impression that his T-shirt had shrunk a little bit, or maybe it was because Dave had put on some weight. I fear that I will trample on his feelings saying the following thing :

Christiane Surdiacourt, our Belgian leading lady, told me that there are hundreds of entries in Ebensee every year - even more than 900 ! - but not all films are seen and evaluated by the judges over there. Is it true that the filmmaker is still obliged to attend the festival, Dave ? There is one big advantage : the organisers don't charge anything, but they do their utmost to encourage filmmakers to spend some time in that beautiful part of their country. I think that Austria is almost as beautiful as Scotland ! The winners receive a golden, silver or bronze bear I think. But they are not like the Berlin bears. They are teddy-bears ! Anyway, when the recession is over it may be a pleasant trip to Ebensee.

I once took part in a Portuguese festival, but there was hardly no response. The Norwegian one was a bit strange. A few times I received letters from the organisers but it was in their own language ! I didn't understand one word. That's strange because I know that English is the second language in Norway. Once I was in that beautiful country with impressive waterfalls and I was so happy that I could say everything in William Shakespeare's language. I think that a Jon Gisle is the moving spirit behind the Norwegian organisation. I even think that he reads the messages on this forum from time to time and he was/is in touch with the IAC.
Willy Van der Linden
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Hi Ned, Willy
I agree with your comments on the AMPS Willy, its is a well run festival with plenty of feedback for the entrant. There is something very satisfying when you receive an email (or any form of communication for that matter ! ) from one of the festival organisers regarding your work entered. It gives you a good feeling that the entry was appreciated and not of just taking your money. The trophies for those lucky enough to get placed are quite magnificent and the certificates awarded really do show that AMPS have gone to a lot of trouble, they certainly believe in celebrating your success!
The DVDs that circulate after the festival are an excellent addition too.
These are aspects that many other of competitions/festivals would benefit from.

Croatian 1 Minute Festival
Considering the potential communication problems this is another festival which keeps you informed right the way through. The added bonus is of course if you are lucky enough to get a placing in the festival you are usually invited over with the offer of free accommodation ! The hospitality of the Croatians is reckoned to be unsurpassed !!!
I think Dave knows a bit more about this festival ? :-)

In response to Neds original posting, there is a long way to go to improve the communications by the people that organise some competitions/ festivals.
In this modern day age of communications, emails, mobiles, skype phones etc there is really no reason why it should be as it is.

Having a good level of responsive and constructive feedback throughout and post event, should be as important as touting for the original entry.
Stephen

Film making is not a matter of Life and Death
It's much more important than that.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

I'll respond to your teasing, Willy!

The Festival of Nations in Austria gets around a thousand entries. ALL are assessed by a pre-selection team (just like most festivals). About 300 or so are selected as being good enough for the festival. Those are printed in the brochure and they all get a diploma.
During the week of the festival there is only time to show about 120 films - allowing for the live jury discussion and audience discussion over the films screened.
So which are chosen for showing?
The pre-selection team pick out some 20 or 30 films which they think are so interesting that they must be shown. (They are not always the best, by any means, but have some quality which the audience will like or respond to.)
The remaining 90 films have to be chosen from the 270 selected as good enough but not marked "must show".

The festival policy is quite clear: if the author (film maker) of one of those films attends, his or her film will be shown and they will have a chance to discuss it with jury and audience. If they do not come, their film may still be shown but that's a lottery. It puts the emphasis where it belongs, on the film makers.

The catch is that the jury can only vote on the films that they have seen ... so if you are to stand a chance of winning one of the many gold, silver or bronze bears your film has to be shown.

Enter a good film and attend the festival ... you can be guaranteed it will be seen and discussed with you. It will stand a chance of a higher prize.
Enter a good film and do not attend the festival ... it may or may not be shown, so may or may not stand a chance of a higher prize.

And yes, the prizes are very cuddly teddy-bears sporting gold, silver or bronze sashes.

Dave
ned c

Post by ned c »

To Willy and Stephen, thank you for your kind comments abiout the AMPS Festival, I am no longer on the jury so can enter movies and try for one of those nice awards! I have entered in the BIAFF, Guernsey Lily, Golden Knight, Ebensee and Estonia but look for a wider and perhaps different audience.

I am looking for some user friendly Festivals that welcome n-c films and treat the makers as human beings with supporting comments and the courtesy of aknowledgement. Ideally somewhere I can get to here in the American west. In tha past I have entered films into Sedona (relatively close by) Victoria, Canada (a very nice place to visit) and a couple of other venues. Unfortunately many of these festivals seem to be aimed at professional "wannabes" and quite cynically take their money, show 10% of the entries and give absolutely nothing in return to the other 90%. The cost of entry is not inexpensive and they require a "Press Pack" with the entry. Any suggestions/experience outsisde the well known n-c circuit?

ned c
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Sorry, Ned, still not on your topic, but this seemed the neatest place to report:
The films selected for the 2009 Festival of Nations in Ebensee, Austria is announced. The successful British entrants are:

Amateurs

Bob Lorrimer "The Trap"
Phil Martin "In The National Interest"
these will both certainly be shown.

Alan Colegrave "Reasons"
Jim Walker "Listen"
these will only be shown if the film maker attends the festival

Independent Film Makers / Film School

Muriel d'Ansembourg "Just Another Day"
David Proctor "Red Sands"
Katie Steed & Aaron Wood "The Best Day We Ever Had"
Steve Sullivan "A Heap of Trouble"
Steve Sullivan "A Quiet Man"
these will both certainly be shown.

Robert Cambrinus "The Good Muslim"
Paul Campion "Eel Girl"
Simon Deshon "Bill's Visitors"
Ahmad El-Sanhouri "Dear Anne Frank"
Avril Evans "Playground"
Stefano Margaritelli "But Only Hope"
Luke Snellinn "Patrick"
Steve Sullivan "A Bit on the Side"
Robin Whenary "Wwoofing"
these will be shown if the makers are at the festival.

Many congratulations to Bob and Phil for being selected as "must shows" and to Alan and Jim for being selected. I know Alan intends to visit the festival so his film should be shown. Jim doubts he will be able to attend ... the festival's loss!

- Dave
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Back to Ned's concern ...
Many festivals seem to ape the major national festivals (London, Edinburgh, Berlin, Amsterdam etc) where the purpose of the event is to show the latest and best movies to the press and public. For their audiences it is entertainment. For the film makers it is part of the publicity round. The comments of critics are only relevant in so far as they promote the films and/or the festival.
There is an international film organisation which specifies the official festivals for each country. Hollywood and major studios usually support those, but less often support the many additional festivals that pop up.
Some towns and cities organise film festivals as part of their attractions for visitors. My own home town of Bath does that ... though in common with so many British institutions much of the work is done by volunteers. A few festivals seem to be set up just to make money ... though there have to be easier ways to do that.
The result is that very few festivals offer the film maker anything in the way of useful comment. They may help get a film seen and perhaps picked up by a distributor, but that is all.
Crits and notes are more part of the educational scene - into which most amateur (and I mean amateur this time) organisations fit. So festivals for amateurs do give notes - verbally or in writing. Other festivals aimed at non-commercial film makers operate for the benefit of indie film makers who want to sell their work to television or a distributor.
So I fear Ned is on a hiding to nothing looking beyond our "amateur" world this time.

Dave
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

I always seem to come in at the tail of these interesting threads, trouble is I'm so busy editing I don't go to my second computer for E Mail!
I totally agree with Ned about some of the international festivals and the Americans are the worst. Moondance for instance collects a large sum of money, doesn't acknowledge and the promised crit never appears. The one that the Tribeca film centre in New York runs is far better but you will find that most entries are from industry 'hopefuls'. I have no objection to that, why not test yourself against them - I can never understand the reluctance over here to that. Mind you Willy, you rather over rate the value of these crits. Although I was quite curious to see what the pros thought I do find that most comments are telling me what I already can see from multiple viewings. You might say why didn't I do something about it while I had the chance but I suspect that is a common failing amongst us all.
One festival no one mentions is the splendid Golden Knight in Malta. I have in the past had some films shown there and when I went they had a great venue in a newly re furbished art centre. Great people, very friendly and a high standard of entries, well worth a try. Not dissimilar to the atmosphere in Guernsey, the favourable comments on which I support unconditionally. Another really good one is the Oslo festival. Highest standard of all I thought and when I went they used their equivalent of our NFT, with two screens in proper cinemas. Not sure about current arrangements though.
Willy

Post by Willy »

Michael Slowe wrote: Mind you Willy, you rather over rate the value of these crits. Although I was quite curious to see what the pros thought I do find that most comments are telling me what I already can see from multiple viewings.
I tend to exaggerate from time to time, Michael. That's what I sometimes feel myself when I have already sent a message on this forum. On the other hand crits or comments prove that the judges have analysed your film thoroughly . They can also drop some hints. Crits can be very useful as you told us. Indeed, after some time you may think : "Yes, in fact they were right !". I don't think that I am someone who is moaning at festivals in Belgium and abroad all the time. I think I am very calm compared with other filmmaking friends in Belgium. There is only one thing that I can't accept. It happens that historical facts are refuted by the judges. I hate deforming facts, also because I used to be a history teacher. The historical things that I tell in my films are right. But ! I still find that crits are essential and I appreciate the work done by judges at festivals. Last week a Flemish friend told me that my newest war film seemed to be a bit too long. I thought about it. Now I think he's right. In my opinion the judges' comments show in some way the quality of the festivals in which you have participated.
Willy Van der Linden
Willy

Post by Willy »

I just forgot to tell you that crits/comments show that the festival is not a lottery. They show that the judges are able to prove the choice that they have made. It would even interesting to know what the judges have written about the other festival films. Maybe I'm exaggerating again, but it would be fascinating. The day before yesterday I met Samuel Faict, my youngest clubmate who won a diamond award. He received his certificates and his beautiful award. The judges comments were sent to him by mail I think. Next time I will ask him what the judges have written. His films "Amber" and "The Gift" were mysterious. I would like to know why other people appreciate the remarkable experimental films of this very talented young man.
Willy Van der Linden