BIAFF 2009

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
billyfromConsett

Re: BIAFF 2009

Post by billyfromConsett »

I wasn't able to go - time pressures, work pressures and young family pressures cause it often to be just a dream to be able to go to a festival.

Dave - If the time was given on Sunday of cramming in the maximum number of films in, so social moments were very limited, well that to me that is a negative. One or have said to me (from a previous festival) that too much time was given to sitting in silence, just watching the screen with time for talking limited. It's something we do in our clubs mind. How do you get the balance right?

Fingercuff - it's good to hear that you went and had a good time. Sounds like you can be mega critical of yourself. I have seen my movies on the big screen and wished that I'd done things a little differently etc ... - so it's probably a typical feeling many of us movie-makers get.
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

Actually Billy, the film shows on Sunday were so good the time flew by - always a good sign. The tea breaks were each half an hour long, we had one and a quarter hours for an excellent lunch and personally I thought this was about right -we were there to see the films after all! Of course the more of these events you attend the more people you get to know so with 200 or so attending the Sunday screening you do find yourself catching up with some people all too briefly but hey - we can keep in touch via this forum and exchange our opinions about the films without too many time constraints. Willy mentioned Retro-Cine which I too enjoyed immensely. In fact I was sitting with Norman Speirs and we both let out a collective sigh when the characters in the film revealed a wonderful old Bolex 8mm projector in pristine condition. I've had a chance to take a fresh look at Aus der Seele on the web-site and isn't it a brilliant innovation that we can see a selection of the films on line now? It is a bit nerve wracking watching your film being screened at this level. One of my films was shown on the Saturday and I got one of the nicest comments I have every received when a couple approached me afterwards and the lady said she had watched the whole film with a smile on her face. It's moments like that which make it all worthwhile.
Brian Saberton
fraught

Post by fraught »

I'm a little like Fingercuff in that when i watch one of my films with an audience, everything just seems to multiply in size! So those quiet moments seem far too long etc...

It was a great experience though, and it gave me valuable feedback. For example, the sequence in my film where one character has his tie cut in two made everyone laugh... but they were laughing so much that they missed what i believe is the best one liner in the whole film. Perhaps with this knowledge, i should extend the pause between the tie falling to the floor and the one liner? Great feedback!
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
billyfromConsett

Hey Fraught - it's so annoying :twisted: :evil: when people are still laughing at the previous funny when your movie's ace line is delivered! You just want to tell them to ******* shut up and listen to your movie's best line! :mrgreen:

But seriously, the most annoying thing for me is when my film is being shown, and I can hear sweet wrappers being undone for what seems like an eternity from some old dear near the back.

But listen, next time you show youe piece, put in a number of beeps and a sub-title to get their attention, then the key line will get the ears it deserves :wink:

Glad it went well for you mind. I heard tonight that Biaff will be at Harrogate in 2011 or 2012, so I will look forward to getting my fix then.
billyfromConsett

Hi Willy, and thank you for your comment re my movie about Consett. I'm actually a Newcastle boy for my sins, but have lived up here for 8 or 9 years. But thanks to Consett I have got an interest in history. Every film-maker should look at history - it will test them, but if they spend time looking at the subject, they will make very interesting movies that large groups of people will thank them for making.

I did a show for Consett Historical Society a few weeks ago - and delighted a bunch of Consett locals. They told me I gave the best presentation their society had ever had. That kind of personal response, from ordinary people, make our creative hobby so worth the time we spend on it.
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

Re the problem of audience laughter running over critical dialogue I once read a BBC manual which recommended building appropriate laugh pauses in at the time of shooting a comedy sequence. Naturally the pauses need to be retained in the edit. I guess the problem is (a) you have to try and anticipate when and for how long the audience is likely to laugh and (b) you are in big trouble if they don't find it funny! I suppose you could try your film out on an audience before committing to final cut so that the "laugh pauses" can be adjusted. Comedy is, as they say, a serious business.
Brian Saberton
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

I think it was said that Bringing Up Baby was edited so that there would be time for laughter to roll round Radio City Music Hall before the next gag came along. Closer to home watch the early Carry On films with an audience and you'll find their timing was superb.
- Dave
Willy

Post by Willy »

Positive intentions
In a private message one of my friends told me that it's good to criticise things in a constructive way on this forum. In fact that's also what judges (should) do when writing comments about the films we have made. We accept the things they have written, or we don't. But I am sure that their intentions are always positive.

Chesterfield Hotel
That particular friend didn't seem to be very happy with the Chesterfield Hotel. It's an old hotel he said, but he also understands that the price is very important. He wonders if the organizers can't find a better hotel next time. He was very satisfied with the food and the quick and friendly service. Yes, he is right. I remember that the staff were very friendly and helpful. The food was also excellent. I didn't hear any complaints about the Gala Dinner. On the continent people often say that English food is not delicious. I always have to fight against that prejudice. The time that we had to eat fluoride peas and vegetables with other colour additives is over. I watch the BBC programmes sometimes and in particular the ones about preparing meals. There is no overtaking manoeuvre anymore. Sometimes the English cuisine is better than the French or Belgian ones.

Windy in the Ballroom
I myself had problems with the fan in the ballroom. It was a bit "windy" and cold in the back of that room. Perhaps that's why I started to sneeze the third day and lost my voice. Maybe that was also the spot where Marilyn Monroe was photographed when wearing her white blown up dress. In general the hotel was acceptable in my opinion, but yes, of course the organizers can always try the find a better one. Yes, one more detail : I had problems when finding a place in the car park. I had to park my car in front of the station for some time.

I am selfish.
BIAFF 2009 was one of the best in the last decade. Buxton, Harrogate, Bedford, Norwich ... They were all excellent, but I hope that you don't mind that I still find the festival in Royal Tunbridge Wells the best. The projection on the screen in the middle of the room was fantastic. I also like English interiors with "mediaeval" beams. BIAFF 2007 was also well-organized. I remember the coach taking the participants from the hotel to the restaurant. And - but that has nothing to do with the organisation - I will never forget the moment when our dearest friend Bernhard Hausberger raised his "Daily Mail Trophy" with tears of joy in his eyes. Also the one minute competition was very pleasant.

I remember that some English friends told me that the hotel in Royal Tunbridge Wells was very expensive. Everything is more expensive in Kent I think, but there are also good hotels. In October last year I was asked to be the guide for a trip in the "Garden of England". The organizers changed the period and they forgot to tell me. At that moment the Guernsey Lily Festival took place and I had to find someone else to take my place. The people who made that trip were very enthusiastic about the Ashford International Hotel. Everything was good and not too expensive ... Perhaps bad of me telling you this ... I am a bit selfish you know. Of course I prefer that BIAFF takes place in the south, not too far from Dover.

Bedford, not Harrogate
Someone on this forum said that next year it takes place in Harrogate again. I think it was Billy. But in Chesterfield we were told that it will be in Bedford. Also a good place I think, and not too far from Dover for continental people.
Willy Van der Linden
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Billy said "I heard tonight that Biaff will be at Harrogate in 2011 or 2012 ..." so it does not contradict what you said, Willy, next year (2010) is in Bedford.

Sadly not all IAC regions are able to host BIAFF. It requires suitable hotels - not many these days have high ceilings so that a screen can be put up to a good height. It must not be too costly - bearing in mind that the organisers have to pay for the various cinema rooms and storage rooms. It is not just a matter of how much delegates have to pay for their rooms. It needs a lot of people willing to devote a lot of time and hard work to the event.

Scotland and SoCo host AGM weekends now and then, but not BIAFF. North West is going through a lean time so far as active committee members is concerned - luckily their film makers are on top form. North Thames has done us well at Bedford several times but it is hard for them to find anywhere nearer London at a reasonable price.

I agree that SERIAC did a superb job with Tunbridge Wells BIAFF, but the hotel we used is no longer available.

And so it goes.

Sometimes we have used college/university premises but older delegates prefer the comfort of hotels!

Dave
Willy

Post by Willy »

Dave Watterson wrote:
It is not just a matter of how much delegates have to pay for their rooms. It needs a lot of people willing to devote a lot of time and hard work to the event.
Sometimes we have used college/university premises but older delegates prefer the comfort of hotels!
Dave
Yes, we cannot repeat it enough. All those volunteers must be praised, specially the ones who work behind the scenes.

Making suggestions is very difficult. Specially for me as I am a "Johnny Foreigner". I still feel the odd man out on this forum, but I love to have chats on this forum, also to practise my knowledge of the English language.

In fact that's a good suggestion, Dave : college or university premises for all projections. Then we can still stay in a hotel. Imagine -I just have a dream you know - : projections in Canterbury University or Brighton University and staying in a hotel in the City. The winners show in an auditorium with a high ceiling! I know that even universities offer cheap accommodation. I have some experience. Once I asked prices for groups. I also followed a course in Winston Churchill College, one of the newest colleges in Cambridge, this to learn the newest teaching techniques. Most of the time we stayed in Saffron Walden in an old college and we spent the night in Quaker's families. Almost a century ago ! I love the atmosphere of British universities.

I wonder if all friends who read and send messages on this forum would like to stick to the old hotels. The friend who wrote the message to me to give his opinion is not a twentier anymore. Just like me. The older you are the more conservative you are. Of course not in the political sense of the word "conservative". In general the English are more conservative than continental people, which is not bad you know ! It's a pity that too many friends hestitate to express their feelings on this forum. Yes, it is a bit risky. After some time people know your weaknesses because you always give away your soul. (=Dutch expression). I already know that Dave is a very bad chap, don't you think so ? Joking of course.

Good that our new IAC-Chairman Alan Atkinson made publicity for this forum in his speech in Chesterfield. I appreciated it. Now only the Willies and Billies, the Dave and Davies, etc ... write messages. That's a pity. By the way, what's the plural of Billy, Davy etc...? One pony-two ponies? One family-two families. But one Billy-two ... ? English is difficult, sometimes.

I translated some Belgian films, also "Loss" made by Tim Verschaeren. I had written "thread" instead of "threat". Dave told me that I had made a mistake and that the viewers would be puzzled when reading "thread" instead of "threat". Again an interesting experience. But yes, I made that mistakes because of all those threads on this forum.
Willy Van der Linden
billyfromConsett

Willy wrote:Making suggestions is very difficult. Specially for me as I am a "Johnny Foreigner". I still feel the odd man out on this forum, but I love to have chats on this forum, also to practise my knowledge of the English language.
Well it looks like we're fighting for that Accolade together. One senior member who I met last last year told me that he thought I was a very young person - thanks to my ramblings on this forum!
So Willy - there are a few of us that don't have a problem with saying our piece. Your language is gentle. It's not pushy. It's fair. It's fine.
Willy wrote: Good that our new IAC-Chairman Alan Atkinson made publicity for this forum in his speech in Chesterfield. I appreciated it. Now only the Willies and Billies, the Dave and Davies, etc ... write messages. That's a pity. By the way, what's the plural of Billy, Davy etc...? One pony-two ponies? One family-two families. But one Billy-two ... ? English is difficult, sometimes.
I hadn't noticed that only a few of us are posting. The forum does have lulls. Maybe the forum could do with a greater recogniton by the IAC. It was mentioned by Jan in our mag in the April mag and there is a link on our homepage. Hopefully its publicity will keep going. I do try and use the NLE group for techy points. Its interface isn't the easiest to get along with though. So our forum and the NLE email group are the two instant communication options to help and exchange views. Maybe our typical members don't exactly embrace getting in front of computers for a second longer than they have to.
Willy wrote:I translated some Belgian films, also "Loss" made by Tim Verschaeren. I had written "thread" instead of "threat". Dave told me that I had made a mistake and that the viewers would be puzzled when reading "thread" instead of "threat". Again an interesting experience. But yes, I made that mistakes because of all those threads on this forum.
I think I saw the movie, and knew what the subtitles meant. Most people would I think.

I think the plural of Billy is Billys.
Pqtrick

Post by Pqtrick »

BIAFF 2009. Did I see the rainbow? Well no, not really but then I did become very ill and had to bow out on Sunday.

I saw as many of the films as permissible on the Saturday mainly in the lower category screenings. If I can use the simple expression ‘enjoy’ or ‘like’, I can attribute this description to most of them.

I felt duty bound to attend the screening of my own film. In fact it was the first time I had seen it projected, yet the size of the picture was not that impressionable. It was disappointing that there were only a handful of other people present. I was a bit disconcerted when I learnt that the preceding film was 30 mins long and about roughly the same topic.

Venturing into the ballroom screenings, I just get that little bit perplexed. Oh dear! What am I about to say? I enjoy my art, music and culture, I am a more than average cinema attendee and I put my nose into any local screenings of films courte métrage. Yet, I could not attribute my simple ‘like’ or ‘enjoy’ to a good number of them.

Willy, in his replies [I was very happy to meet and speak to Willy at the dinner albeit very briefly – he looked just a bit fatigue, I now know why]. He senses that the days are over for films of the like of ‘Hannah’ in favour of more experimental film. I sincerely hope not!

It is easy to throw paint up the wall and use crude language in the name of art. I was a student many years ago. I designed sculptured shaped chairs which were uncomfortable, the two legged stool and wardrobes made out of brown paper. I then learnt to hone my skills with experience, crafting traditional materials which I began to appreciate.

I find these ‘save the world’ and films about social issues tedious. It is almost as we are being talked down to. Before my own mother died, she suffered from a form of dementia. In no way, would I want to share and make a film about this or any other like, real life experience. I just wonder whether the makers of these films have any real experience of these issues or are just toying with an idea for the sake of it.

The world is in the midst of an economic depression. We need our past-time of film making to enrich and brighten our world.

So for me BAIFF came and went. Many no doubt many went home ablaze with ideas and inspiration. I had to be repatriated by a scheduled flight as I was unable to take the one which was booked. If I was a little disappointed by some of the films, the film makers excelled with the help and assistance given. This is really what the comradely of the event is all about and I am eternally grateful.

Last to mention Willy, you can’t be an outsider! You are on the better side of the La Manche. He reminisced in one of his recent posts of ‘A host of golden daffodils’. My wife did not find field of daffodils in England but a sea of wild blue bells. I have attached an image for you to enjoy. A bientôt!
[PS I can't attach the bluebells so you will have to imagine a sea of wind tossed dancing blue-bells in a quite woodland dell.]
fraught

Post by fraught »

One thing i did notice about BIAFF 09, were that no one from the UK won a Diamond award. Obviously the film makers in the UK aren't up to scratch at the moment! ;-)
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
Willy

Post by Willy »

PaddyW wrote:BIAFF 2009. Did I see the rainbow? Well no, not really but then I did become very ill and had to bow out on Sunday.
I felt duty bound to attend the screening of my own film. In fact it was the first time I had seen it projected, yet the size of the picture was not that impressionable. It was disappointing that there were only a handful of other people present.
It's good to hear what you think about BIAFF 2009. PaddyW - sorry I've forgotten your real name - but me too, I was happy to have a chat with you at the dinner table. I am also surprised to hear that you had to leave earlier and that you missed the Winners Show on Sunday. Moi aussi, j'étais un peu fatigué, même épuisé.

From Lyon to Chesterfield !
I share your opinion, and I am also sure that we are not the only ones. There is always a "silent majority". You too were disappointed. There were only a handful of other people present when your film was screened. That's a pity. That's frustrating. Knowing that you made such a long and expensive journey from Lyon to Chesterfield ... Imagine that the South Koreans, after having made that world tour, experienced that only 15 people watched their film. The two ladies were rewarded with four stars (I am sure not because of having made that long trip) and they were rewarded with about sixty viewers in the Chatsworth Room. I enjoyed their film more or less, but I was not euphoric because I didn't always have the time to read their subtitles. Their subitles sometimes covered 40 % of the screen. On the other hand their presence gave some cachet to the festival. They were wearing special clothes.

Most filmmakers whose films were screened, were absent. I don't blame them, in particular friends like the two Michaels who apologized for being absent. I missed BIAFF only twice in fourteen years and I live at the other side of the La Manche ! Next year I would like to cross "La Mache" again, but to be honest ... sometimes I hesitate in spite of my sympathy for the IAC, which is a wonderful institute. This excellent website gives me courage from time to time.

Experimental films
Yes, those experimental films ! I watched "925" and "Amber". Also "Escalator" was more or less experimental. Nobody could understand these films. Everybody seemed to be puzzled. X said : "I think it means this ..." and Y said : "I think it means that". When watching such films I always have the feeling that I am not intelligent enough. I will have to read "The Making Of..." articles. My clubmates and me had a hard discussion with Samuel Faict who has made "Amber". Samuel is the youngest member in my club. I still support him because he has made some very powerful films like "The Gift" and "The Prey"... ; but now he has exaggerated with "Amber". The liquid didn't even have the colour of amber. It looked like fruitjuice. "A pity that most viewers do not understand my film", Samuel said, "but I just want to express my feelings on the screen. Piccasso expressed his feelings on a canvas". I can refer again to the excellent "The Making Of" articles on this website. By the way, congratulations Dave and Jan Watterson for doing all this. A well-deserved diamond award. I am not joking.

Also British films deserved a diamond award
Yes, Fraught, amazing that no British filmmaker could win a diamond award. "Fallen Leaves" didn't even achieve 5 stars. What a powerful film it is ! And it's British ! Also some other British films deserved a diamond award. But that's my own opinion and there will be always discussions about stars and diamonds. Though, in 2007 and 2008 there was almost no discussion. Everybody agreed : the "Daily Mail Trophy" was won by a real maniacal hobbyist ! Now the winner was absent. Maybe he was unable to come. Do not forget that young people still have to work. Maybe the organisers could have asked him to give a short speech in a film. I remember that six or seven years ago an Argentinian filmmaker won the first prize. He couldn't come, but he sent a short film with some kind words of thanks.
Willy Van der Linden
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

I was sad that no UK films made it to Diamond level this year. Several of our usually high-scoring film makers did not do so well this year. Of course other countries tend to send the cream of their crop.

Aus der Seele (From the Soul)
The Bedwetter
Nebenan
and
Dentophobia
were all part of Germany's national entry to the UNICA festival last year, for example.

I am glad you explained which experimental films disturbed people. So far as I could see only Amber came into that category on the Sunday show.

Thanks for plugging the Making of... series, Willy. I very much enjoy reading what film makers have to say about specific movies. They all use different styles of writing which adds to the interest.

Dave