The Big Gig- NEW WEBSITE

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
FILM THURSO

The Big Gig- NEW WEBSITE

Post by FILM THURSO »

Hello,

www.thebiggig.eu

is now online.

Still looking a little bare but it will develope accordingly and you can all be assured that we will continue our tradition of spelling errors at every turn to keep you on your toes! :D
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Hey - it is certainly much "quieter" than the old site which was and is packed with big headlines, photos and links - plus occasional intrusive ads.

Glad to see that the vital info on the Big Gig and entry details are the first items to go up.

I hope you can develop the new site to bring the wealth of information from the old site into a slightly more conventional form. You are so active in the whole film field from cinema preservation to archiving, from inventive use of 8mm to celebrating the best work of other people. Trying to condense it all into a website must be very hard indeed ... especially while you are actually busy doing it! And that is in addition to your musical interests.

Darren you put most of us to shame. Well done!

Dave
FILM THURSO

Post by FILM THURSO »

:oops: Shucks! www.thursopicturehouse.piczo.com is still there and will continue for all our interests and for those who enjoy our typo's. :D
ned c

Post by ned c »

Hi FT, thanks for the new website info. We will be sending entries from the USA have a question regarding the entry form it says "Information to Follow", is there a later posting we should know about?

Thanks

ned c
FILM THURSO

Post by FILM THURSO »

Don't worry Ned, it's just the same info that's on the thurso picture house site. We are so dang busy running between filming for two features, scheduling shoots and even some archeology that's everything is happening in tiny bits.
Meantime as ever, copy and paste to wordpad then print out and send filled in with your entries. We've got some films from you already and look forward to more. If you have anything of a Scottish flavour this will be particularly welcome as we are tagging in with the HomeComing Scotland 2009 event which is happening across the whole country. :D
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Just to amplify that hasty comment from a very busy CforT ...

The Scottish Government is promoting "Homecoming Scotland 2009" as a massive tourist and national pride drive. See http://www.homecomingscotland2009.com for details. This handily links with the 250th anniversary of the birth of Robert Burns, Scotland's national poet.

If you go to Cinema for Thurso's older website http://thursopicturehouse.piczo.com and from the menu near the top of the page choose "Pages" > "THE BIG GIG ENTRY FORM" you will find the entry form which can be printed out.

Dave
fraught

Post by fraught »

Just posted my entry today...

When is the Big Gig by the way? I couldn't see any dates on the site.
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Aaaargh!

Do I still have to point out that the eccentrically marvellous IAC website has a listing of lots of the best festivals, which naturally includes The Big Gig - go to www.theiac.org.uk and in the column on the right choose the "Festivals/Comp" link ...

There you will find:
Closing : 31 Jan 2009
Festival: 21 June 2009 onwards

Dave
FILM THURSO

Post by FILM THURSO »

OOO, never knew about that listing, that's great and we fell about laughing at the tail end comment, absolutely right up our street. :D

Friday 17th and Sat, 18th July in Thurso at the Royal British Legion and Sun, 26th July in the Mackay's Hotel, Wick. The other location dates are not set and will be decided by the Caledonian Cinemas. The Caledonian Tour will include Tain Elgin and Perth. Thurso & Wick are part of the tour but also main event locations.
We will be posting accomodation details on the travel and accomodation page on www.thursopicturehouse.piczo.com
Recommended hotels in Thurso are the Station Hotel, St Clair Hotel, Park Hotel and Holborn Hotel and there is no shortage of excellent B&B's in town. In Wick we are recommending our host venue, The Mackay's Hotel.
fraught

Post by fraught »

Doh! Didn't think to look there... thought it might actually be mentioned on the website. ;-)
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
stingman

Post by stingman »

FILM THURSO wrote: If you have anything of a Scottish flavour this will be particularly welcome......
Yes.... Blokes running about in skirts, playing a bag full of wind sound like a dieing cat and drunk on whisky :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have family in Scotland so i`m always winding them up. Come on, they`ve only just got phones :lol: :lol:

Be good....

Stingman

PS. I`m glad your busy in your film club and it`s going well. Good news.
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
FILM THURSO

Post by FILM THURSO »

Golly, I've never seen a more accurate discription of an American Tourist! :D They are a strange bunch, polite, friendly but strange the way they do all those things while we go about our business in the latest fashions. The only place they blend in is Edinburgh's Royal Mile where there are plenty of tartan and kilt shops. (OOooo and a FUDGE KITCHEN- MMMMM YUMMY!)
I personally prefer Irn Bru or if ir goes to alchohol then a pint of Stella or Miller's will suffice. Vodka is the popular one of the spirits but WKDs are also very popular.
I have to admit I totally love Haggis, Neaps and Tatties with a squadge of butter. As a matter of fact I have been making arrangements to film live Haggis on one of the local estates.
Mind you some things have passed us by up in the north but then we have been rather focussed dismantling 3 Nuclear reactors! ( I kid you not)

Scottish Inventors and Inventions
The average Englishman in the home he call his castle slips into his national costume, a shabby raincoat, patented by Chemist Charles Macintosh from Glasgow, Scotland.

En-route to his office he strides along the English lane, surfaced by John Macadam of Ayr, Scotland.

He drives an English car fitted with tyres invented by John Boyd Dunlop, Veterinary Surgeon of Dreghorn, Scotland.

At the office he receives the mail bearing adhesive stamps invented by John Chalmers, Bookseller and Printer of Dundee, Scotland.

During the day he uses the telephone invented by Alexander Graham Bell, born in Edinburgh, Scotland. At home in the evening his daughter pedals her bicycle invented by Kirkpatrick Macmillan, Blacksmith of Thornhill, Dumfriesshire, Scotland.

He watches the news on television, an invention of John Logie Baird of Helensburgh, Scotland, and hears an item about the U.S. Navy founded by John Paul Jones of Kirkbean, Scotland.

Nowhere can an Englishman turn to escape the ingenuity of the Scots.

He has by now been reminded too much of Scotland and in desperation he picks up the Bible, only to find that the first man mentioned in the good book is a Scot, King James VI, who authorized its translation.

He could take to drink but the Scots make the best in the world.

He could take a rifle and end it all, but the breech-loading rifle was invented by Captain Patrick Ferguson of Pitfours, Scotland.

If he escaped death, he could find himself on an operating table injected with penicillin, discovered by Sir Alexander Fleming of Darvel, Scotland, and given chloroform, an anesthetic discovered by Sir James Young Simpson, Obstetrician and Gynecologist of Bathgate, Scotland.

Out of the anesthetic he would find no comfort in learning that he was as safe as the Bank of England founded by William Paterson of Dumfries, Scotland.

Perhaps his only remaining hope would be to get a transfusion of guid Scottish blood which would entitle him to ask:

"Wha's Like Us?"

http://thecapitalscot.com/pastfeatures/likeus.html
stingman

Post by stingman »

I like it Filmthurso! Excellent :lol: :lol: 8)

May be all the Scots should print it out (or save it) and use it on a rainy day for the Scots V English debate!

Well Done. What can I say..........

I`ll get my coat :oops: :lol:

Be good up there......

Stingman
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
FILM THURSO

Post by FILM THURSO »

It's available on postcards, tea-towels, mugs and and a host of other handy items, visit the website linked above. :D There are three things that make Britain great... Scotland, England and Wales in no decernable order. :D :D