Screening and festival opportunities for amateur feature?

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Wilfred

Screening and festival opportunities for amateur feature?

Post by Wilfred »

Hi,

I've recently completed a no budget feature film made just for fun initially but now I want to enter it for amateur festivals and get it screened wherever possible.

I will enter it for the 2009 BIAFF film festival and the 2009 Surrey film and video festival as well as get it screened at Exploding films in London.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me as to where else I could enter it and have it screened at?
ned c

Post by ned c »

How long is the film? Many Festivals have a time limit, AMPS is 30 minutes.

ned c
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

hi Wilfred.... Welcome to the forum...

I gather you are down south (Northern lad here)...

Are you a member of a local film/video group?.... From past experience they have proved a good source for comments and feedback on films shown .... Even the buzz of entering locally held competitions can get the positive vibes going!

there are good links on the IAC home page to regions and clubs....
Stephen

Film making is not a matter of Life and Death
It's much more important than that.
Wilfred

Post by Wilfred »

The film is just under 99 minutes long.

We are also thinking of approaching pubs, restaurants and clubs that have large projector screens with a view to screening the film there.
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

I would suggest also Seriac (The South East Region of the IAC) - which covers Kent, Sussex and Surrey (and the Channel Islands).

However, as Ned says, all of these festivals have a limitation on the length of film shown at a festival, otherwise many shorter films would have to be dropped much to the annoyance of their makers. The time limit is usually around 20 minutes or so depending on the particular festival - and thus, only an excerpt would be shown. A 90 minute award winning movie in the Kent Film Festival a couple of years ago had just 10 minutes shown - selected by the makers - and that featured Brenda Blethyn in one of the roles! The Festival rules will indicate the maximum length of film that can be entered, and the maximum length of film that will be shown at the festival. Also, there is a limit to the number of 20 minute films that would be shown, I think: the objective is usually to show as many entries as possible, with the award winners getting prority of course.

Thus, while these festivals are good for getting judge's opinions, they are not good for showing all of a long film such as yours. Individual Clubs would just about be able to show a film of 99 minutes length during their meeting time - they usually have a program planned well in advance for their meetings, but it is worth trying to see if any are interested: a list of Clubs in your area would be found on the IAC main website of course.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

as Mike said SERIAC is a good place to try (I didn't name it before as I was unsure of you exact location)...

99 minutes is a serious piece of film making !!!... and as stated many clubs would find it difficult to accommodate... unless it was something the club was particularly interested in...

have you got a synopsis of the film ?
Stephen

Wilfred

Post by Wilfred »

Thanks for all the advice guys! I will try what you suggested.

Further information on my film can be found from the following links in case you want to have a peak:

Short trailer -

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... D=20736665

Synopsis and Long trailer -

http://www.brotherhoodthemovie.co.uk/
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

cool stuff and very ambitious !!!!

liked the faster pace of the smaller trailer best which made you want more ? !

best of luck with it .....
Stephen

Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Wow - that looks pretty impressive stuff.

Put me down to see the movie wheneever/wherever it is shown!
stingman

Post by stingman »

Excellent film!! Put me down for a copy!

I would contact Channel 4 or The film arm FilmFour! It`s the sort of film that they show on tv. English Low-Budget films of which I love because it`s the sort of film that I could make. I would do this first as if you put it into a festival then that may stop it being shown on Telly. I would also find out on how to enter it into the Cannes Film Festival. It`s a good length and quality. I would think seriously before you enter it into any `small` festival!

Be good...........

Stingman
Ian Gardner
Film Maker