Film directors are famous, not scriptwriters etc...

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Willy

Film directors are famous, not scriptwriters etc...

Post by Willy »

This morning three Flemish film directors were interviewed in a TV-programme. They had made new wonderful films. Fien Troch, Eric Van Looy and Jan Verheyen are the ones. In Belgium they are famous. They talked about their films. In fact I also thought about the scriptwriters, the producers and other people who had made a very valuable contribution. So I wondered : why do they always ask film directors to stand in the spotlights ? A scriptwriter should be respected as much as the director of a film. Don't you think so ?

We, non-budget filmmakers, or low-budget filmmakers, often write scripts and direct the actors. In fact the scriptwriter is the creator of the film, isn't he ? I have the feeling that writing down a good story is creating something rather than directing people.

Now I am thinking about a story for a new fiction film. Not easy. I think I've got one, but I need an actor and an actress. The actress must be excellent. I hope I can find one. A pity that I don't live in Britain. I think it's easier to find actors in your country. Drama is also part of the curriculum of secondary schools children. Am I wrong ?

By the way : last year a forum-friend sent me an excellent story for a short film. I remember that he is a member of a club in the North (Newcastle ?). Unfortunately I crashed with my computer and I lost the story ! A pity !
Willy Van der Linden
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

I'd add 'Editor' to that - which is not always the Director, although most often its the Director who does the edit in (dare I use the word) 'amateur' movies.

Some years ago, I edited a movie which had been languishing around as raw material for some years, and produced a finished movie which won a Gold at Biaff. The film concept wasn't my idea, but the edit used my ideas and interpretations. I like to think I had a major role in its success ! ! (But would I have had the original concept to start with? I very much doubt it!!). It was of course the person who had the original idea that received all the acclaim and kudos.

A movie is the culmination of all those who are involved in its production. But I guess it is inevitably going to be the 'prime mover' who takes the major proportion of the credit.

When was life ever 'fair' ?? :)
Willy

Post by Willy »

Mike Shaw wrote:I'd add 'Editor' to that -
Yes, you're right, Mike. The editor plays a veeeery important role !!!

A layman even thinks that a film is made only by shooting. Let's say that camerawork is only 5 % of the "job". Sometimes people ask me to film an event (wedding, birthday party, journey, etc...) and they think that one day later they can already get a copy. That's frustrating. They don't realize how long it takes to edit a film... and sometimes they don't even respect filmmaking.

Once an alderman said to me : "Could you do that for me ? I know it's your hobby. I am sure you enjoy it !". He's right : I enjoy making films, but sometimes I hate to be commissioned, unless it's a friend who asks me something.
Willy Van der Linden
stingman

Post by stingman »

I can agree. The Editor has a very Powerful job.
He is given all this footage and is given the job of making sense of it all and turning it into a work of art!

The film could have so many different beginnings and endings and be cut really tight or linger on certain scenes. He can readjust the framing etc. He could make one film in the style of a love story, and with the same footage give it a more dark feel and and turn it into a Thriller!

Be good,

Stingman
Ian Gardner
Film Maker