Dutch Competition NOVA

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Willy

Dutch Competition NOVA

Post by Willy »

Some weeks ago I was a judge in the panel for the Dutch competition called NOVA. What a fantastic experience ! When I arrived in Roermond near the Dutch border I felt the odd man out. I was the only Belgian, let's say the only "foreigner". we have a different nationality, but we speak the same language.

The "strekking".
First we had a meeting. The secretary explained the Dutch system. In the first place we had to think about the "strekking" of the film. It means ... "What did the filmmaker want to tell us/what did he want to show ?/ What was his message ? ..." The story is the most important thing. Not the technical value.

Percentages
After having seen each film we got about 6-7 minutes to write down something. Afterwards we had to sit down at a table and we talked about the film. We told the secretary our scores. Let's say 74 %. From 70 % to 80 % was bronze, from 80 % to 90 % silver and more than 90 % was gold. I know that many prominent judges (like Dave and other ones) are against percentages, but I don't want to open the discussion about it. I even think it is not so important.

We could change our scores
When there was a big difference the judge with the highest score tried to explain why he had given so much. The one who had given the lowest score did the same. The discussions were always very interesting. At the table we could still change our scores.

I had been very generous
Once it seemed that I had been very generous. I explained why. It was a film about a circus family. The members of that circus were so enthusiastic... The interviews were so spontanuous. The atmosphere was super ... I even wanted to be one of them ... etc... etc... The only "negative" thing according to my colleagues ... the film was a bit too long... After the discussion the 4 other judges raised their marks. I had convinced them. But mind, also the opposite thing happened. Once their arguments were so convincing that I myself changed my score.

There were 65 films. We worked from 8.30 am to 10 pm. of course we had lunch (1 hour) and dinner (1h30min). To be honest : at 10 pm I was tired.

English breakfast
Before going to bed we had a drink in the bar of our hotel. The following morning I enjoyed my English breakfast.

Next month all films with bronze, silver or gold (about 30 films) will be shown at Heerenveen in the North of Holland. That's on a Saturday and Sunday. By that time the secretary of the judging panel will have made a summary of all the things we have written and said about the films. Each filmmaker will be asked to come onto the podium. The secretary will read his report and he will give the certificate.

I think that this system is also used at BIAFF more or less. Anyway, the Dutch know how filmmakers should be respected for the work of art that they have created. Also in Belgium the system will change this season thanks to BIAFF and NOVA...
Willy Van der Linden
stingman

Post by stingman »

Thank you Willy for keeping us posted about your exploits! I do find them interesting and informative.

Thanks....

Be good......

Stingman
Ian Gardner
Film Maker