The Cotswold Film Festival is no more.

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Dave Watterson

The Cotswold Film Festival is no more.

Post by Dave Watterson »

The 9th Cotswold International Film & Video Festival, 2008, was the last one. For more news see its website http://www.cotswoldfilmvideofest.co.uk/

Lee Prescott, founder and organiser of the event, announced his retirement at the end of the award presentations. At that point there were plans for some small, local businesses in the music and film world to take it over. Sadly, the next day they declined to do so.

No one is prepared to take on the mountain of work involved, so Britain's third international amateur film festival is no more.

It is no secret that Lee and I had - and have - differences of opinion on film judging and many other things ... but we like and respect each other. We have been friends for a decade.

I, for one, regret the loss of the festival.

Dave
Willy

Re: The Cotswold Film Festival is no more.

Post by Willy »

Dave Watterson wrote:The 9th Cotswold International Film & Video Festival, 2008, was the last one. For more news see its website http://www.cotswoldfilmvideofest.co.uk/

Dave
I realize that organizing a film fesitval, even a local one, takes time, energy and courage. I understand that Lee wanted to retire. The last few years I didn't take part in his festival because each time my film was too long. I admire people like the Rouillards, the Dunckleys, the Prescotts etc...

Lee helped me a lot. He found the dog Yoda for me. Perhaps you remember the little papillon dog in my Cotswold film "Together with Yoda". I will always be very grateful to him.

Good that we don't always agree with each other. That makes life "colourful". Otherwise it would be too boring. I remember that Lee had his own opinion about judging, but I also remember that he is a very very energetic man. Thanks to his festival he gave filmmakers more motivation to make films and more chance to win awards. Enthusing hobbyists is very important. He's done a wonderful job. Congratulations, Lee !
Willy Van der Linden
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

What sad news. I've just watched the tributes on the festival web-site and was struck by how fond everyone was of the festival and also by the comment that this kind of event brings people of different cultures together.

I wonder how many people truly realise the massive amount of work that's involved in running an international festival, often for little thanks or reward. All too often there are people ready to leap into print to criticise judges, judging systems and give negative comments on the results of competitions or the way things have been run on the day. Perhaps it was and ever will be thus and we do need to debate these things from time to time, but when you hear such fine words and fullsome praise for a much loved festival and festival organiser the lesson surely must be that it's time the balance of comment swung a bit more towards the positive.
Brian Saberton
Dave Watterson

Where should the next festival be?

Post by Dave Watterson »

We have been used to three international level festivals in the British Isles. Now that the Cotswold Festival has come to an end, should we be agitating for a new one? If so where?

The Lily is, of course, tied to the Island of Guernsey in the south.
BIAFF moves between Worthing on the south coast and Harrogate in Yorkshire.

So should Scotland host the next major festival?

It already has a UK-only festival with The Big Gig based in Thurso. It has several Scots-only competitions. But could it do more? Would that be a good way to celebrate SAM's (Scottish Association of Moviemakers) anniversary next year?

The competition element of such a festival is relatively self-contained and could be managed by one person - or better by a couple. BUT someone else should take on the task of publicity and promotion. And someone else again should organise the screenings and jollities of the festival side of it.

Edinburgh and Glasgow might seem obvious candidates but both cities can be expensive - which is really why BIAFF avoids London now. Perth perhaps? Hawick? Dundee? Largs? Rothesay?

We are not talking about an event on the scale of BIAFF but, maybe, more on the friendly lines of the Lily.

What think you?

Dave
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

After our experiences with the Scottish 8 which attracted little support within Scotland and was frequently (unfairly in my opinion) criticised I don't think you will find many volunteers for this one.
Brian Saberton
Peter Copestake

Cotswold Film Competition is no more

Post by Peter Copestake »

How sad. The Cotswold, whenever I entered, gave the opinions of more judges than any other which, I thought, made it of even more value than any other that I was aware of.
Thank you, Lee.
Peter.
Peter Copestake
henry

Post by henry »

This was very sad news for me, I entered several films in the festival for which I recieved aclaim, this encouraged me as other film festivals had all but ingnored them or returned them with judges comments that reflected that they hadn't the slightest idea of what my film was conveying. It always had to be their interpretation, Cotswold looked beyond what they thought and were objective in their judging.

Thank for the encouragement Lee.
I dont need GPS the voices tell me where to go!
Dave Watterson

Re: The Cotswold Film Festival is no more.

Post by Dave Watterson »

Morecambe Bay Movie Makers in their 40th year of operation have established what they call Morecambe Bay International Video Competition ... and I suspect everyone else will call "The Erics" since their trophy is a miniature version of a statue in the town celebrating comedian Eric Morecambe.

In part their competition is a tribute to the Cotswold and plans to continue many aspects of its organisation. They have had discussions with Lee Prescott who gives them his blessing and encouragement.

Closing date: 1st February 2010 and shows on 10th April. Details on their website: http://www.morecambebayinternationalvid ... ion.org.uk

- Dave