Competition Entries Reluctance to Accept HDV

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Michael Slowe

Competitions & HDV

Post by Michael Slowe »

Just before you 'close this thread' can I just say that I have found that even if I shoot in HDV or even full uncompressed HD when I downscale to DV for exhibition purposes the resulting picture quality is superior to what I used to get shooting DVCAM. So we don't, in my opinion, need to rush about trying to show HDV tapes until they are much more widely acceptable but if we can, and want to, we can improve the final resultant DV (or DVD), by shooting in HDV or HD.

By the way we at Finchley Film Makers recently spent a morning testing all our material and formats in the local Phoenix Cinema where they have installed £60,000 worth of kit to show digital media. The pictures from most formats looked incredibly good and the best could easily be mistaken (certainly by your average 'punter') for 35mm film!
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Um ... I don't like to even think this, let alone write it ...

According to "How Stuff Works" website, NHK Science and Technical Research Laboratories is developing a successor to HD.

The frame size proposed is 7680 x 4320 (16 to 9 ratio) with a frame rate of 60 per second in progressive mode. Oh and for sound they are going beyond 5.1 systems towards 22.2 speaker systems ...

Standard 35mm film frame has an effective equivalent resolution of between 5 & 7 Megapixels depending on the emulsion. This UHDTV stuff has a resolution of about 33 Megapixels!

Can I hire a fork-lift truck to carry the cassette please?

Dave
FILM THURSO

Post by FILM THURSO »

Only 33 mega Breeze-blocks! Still got a way to go to catch up on Imax then.
Thank goodness for that! :D