Has the Zoom finally gone?

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Dave Watterson

Has the Zoom finally gone?

Post by Dave Watterson »

During BIAFF I was not struck by the usual number of zoom shots (whether moving in or out). There were some, of course, but far fewer than in recent years. Have we finally escaped from the tyranny of "the camera has a zoom so I must use it" syndrome?

Whenever we have a new technical possibility it tends to be overused at first as people experiment. Think of the "terrible transition" years where movies rippled, bulged, spun, twisted and contorted from one image to the next. But zoom has been around for ages and only recently seems to be passing that experiment stage.

Of course a zoom lens is very useful - it lets you frame a shot much more easily than switching prime lenses and moving the camera set-up. Very, very occasionally a zoom shot where the lens moves during the take is appropriate. But all too often they have been used quite unnecessarily.

Such shots almost always call attention to themselves. They make audiences aware of technique rather than the subject of the movie. For years better film makers have ranted against them ... and now, maybe, the lesson has been learned.

I hope so.

But is this just my failing memory or an accidental result of the mini-cinema programmes I chose to attend?

Is the zoom all-but-dead?

Dave
stingman

Post by stingman »

You may be right Dave.

The most dramatic use of the zoom lens is in the following.

I don`t know the correct name for this but.............

You have a shot of someone, maybe just their face. You zoom in, but this is the clever bit, you walk backwards with the camera, at the same speed as you zoom into their face. You see it in horror films etc. It is used for the ultimate dramatic effect. If you`ve done it right, the face will stay where it is, but the background will dramaticly move!!!!!

Other then this. The zoom should be used to frame a subject or used just lightly to make a shot less still and boring.

In my latest Jazz editing. When the shot is a still on, I zoom in slowly on a long (time) shot and alter the angle as well. This brings to life the shot. It is hard to do in camera without jerking or having to have a really expensive tripod...

Be good all, and get out there filming! What are you waiting for!

Stingman
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Hi Ian,
It used to be known as the "Hitchcock" zoom or the Vertigo zoom because he made good use of it. It is also known nowadays as the "Spielberg" zoom because he used it in Jaws among others.

Like other zooms the risk is that it draws attention to itself rather than serving the purpose of the film. But in the right places and especially in the stylised setting of terror movies it can have great impact.

Dave
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Without a doubt the best use of zoom just had to be of Alan Whicker standing on a beach and the zoom just kept on going and going forever....until Alan was a mere speck on the beach...... awesome... I use to try and contemplate what size lens you would need for that !!!!!!

it wasn't until many years later I found out that it was filmed onboard a helicopter !!.....

just a thought...
Stephen

Film making is not a matter of Life and Death
It's much more important than that.
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

I feel sure I saw some zooms but perhaps they were so well done that they were unobtrusive.
Brian Saberton
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Most definately Brian..!.... zooms were involved but in conjunction with the helicopter it was awsome!!!!!
Stephen

Film making is not a matter of Life and Death
It's much more important than that.