Filming From A Car

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Stephen

Filming From A Car

Post by Stephen »

Greetings to the learned list..

Have any peeps here done this?..... need to get the camera in the boot of a hatchback on a stabilised platform for best results.. pointing backward to pan overtakes by motorcycles which will be hopefully be at some speed (but legally posted speed limit observed!!)

what about seat belts ? can u get permission to leave belts off.... local bobby didn't know...

otherwise it will be reverse pillion on lead bike !!!!!!

just a thought...
Stephen

Film making is not a matter of Life and Death
It's much more important than that.
stingman

Re: Filming From A Car

Post by stingman »

Stephen wrote:Greetings to the learned list..

Have any peeps here done this?..... need to get the camera in the boot of a hatchback on a stabilised platform for best results.. pointing backward to pan overtakes by motorcycles which will be hopefully be at some speed (but legally posted speed limit observed!!)

what about seat belts ? can u get permission to leave belts off.... local bobby didn't know...

otherwise it will be reverse pillion on lead bike !!!!!!

just a thought...
What about getting hold of a pick-up truck. You would have free movment from the back and to get very low angle shots from the side. You would be limiting yourself if you use a car and no seat belt for the pick-up truck.

I strapped a camera to the back of my bike. Very jerky and uneven. It does sound great.

I hope to do a news piece latter on in the year about Hope 08 and Motorbikes. I will be looking out for some unusual shots.
Talking about unusual shots. Make shoure that you can think of a few. It will make your film stand out. Have some shots from the pillion seat looking forward (eyes of the rider shot), Some low down while riding pillion etc. It would be good to have a copy of the film.
I hope it works out good for you and you keep us posted on all the stages of the film and when it`s finished.
Be good!

Stingman
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Stephen - for once ignore the sentiment in your "signature line" ! Safety is important here.

The answer is that you must be strapped in.

Many years ago Finchley Cine Society hired a low-loader lorry, put a car on it with the actors inside. The camera was on a tripod on the loader too. When the low-loader was moving the camera could show the actors as if they were driving but without them actually having to drive for real. They were not going fast through London traffic.

They were stopped by the police and lucky to get away with a warning.

When BBC did the series about a learner driver they converted an American car as a camera platform giving it a solid metal roof fitted with lots of anchor points so that the kit and cameraman on there could be safely secured.

If possible find a private road on which you can shoot - perhaps in a factory estate on a Sunday - or on an old aerodrome. In such circumstances you do not have to worry about the legal aspect but DO make sure your cameraman is safe. (You might worry about the camera too!)

Failing that do you know anyone with a convertible car - or could you hire one for the day - the camerman could twist in the back seat and whilst being firmly seat-belted could still get the shot you want?

I don't want to seem a killjoy ... but we need to preserve our film-makers !!!!

Dave
ned c

Post by ned c »

Come to the American SouthWest where the motorcyclists do not wear helmets, just a bandana to hold in what little brains they have when they hit the kerb. Stand in the back of a pick-up along with the dogs and shoot as you go (camera or gun) this is still the wild west!

ned c
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Wey hey Ned!!... mercy..... but it's a deal!!!!!! <BG>

I've seen the BBC episode of Top Gear in which Jeremy and Co. blasted through red neck country..... errrrr.... on second thoughts I'll come up with something in good old blighty!!

I once did manage a trip to Daytona albeit in a Dodge Neon (have you SEEN the cost of tourist insurance on a hardly davidson for a day !!!) ... it was a cool 100F in the shade!... all those motociclists tearing about wearing nothing but a smile........ smokin....

good leather will give you 3 seconds on an off before you start loosing ye skin...... not nice.... but hey.... its all perfectly safe as long as you obey the rules and wear the right gear laddie!!!

now where can I get my hands on a pick-up (Thanks Ian!)

and thanks to contributions so far chaps!
Stephen

billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

Cameraman as a pillion on a bike that's got a rear luggage box. That way you legally overcome the seatbelt issue :)

Can't expect mega stable shots and the speed can't be too fast - under 40mph I'd say.
fraught

Post by fraught »

You could try getting a window mounted tripod? Here is a selection i found online... http://www.warehouseexpress.com/search/?q=tripod%20car
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Thanks for that Fraught..... some good stuff there....

the ultimate shots I am after are from a moving vehicle with rearward facing camera head on to the motorcycle(s) approaching very quick with a fast continuous pan to the left or right as the motorcycles(s) do a fast overtake....

if it comes off it should be worth it....... although the classic Rock Around The Clock with the camera in the middle of the road and motorcycles passing either side could be worth a go !!!!!! (on private land of course ... I have plenty white paint!)

Up until now I have several (experienced) motorcyclists that do regular trackdays and will have cameras mounted onto their bikes while racing..... mmmmmmm.....

do you think I will need a liability release form !!!!!!!! (race tracks seem to get most of the legal jargon sorted by sticking posters trackside warning you that motorcycle racing is dangerous :shock: :wink: :wink:

but joking aside this is a quite serious side of things and it will be looked at in great detail very soon......
Stephen