PAPER WORK........ YUCK!!!

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
stingman

PAPER WORK........ YUCK!!!

Post by stingman »

Dear All,

Having been on a lengthy course on EVERYTHING related to Newsworks. I thought that I would bring up the dreaded two words...... Paper Work.

Having learn`t how to fill them in, I think, Why bother with it all, and just give up. There are two main papers to fill in and one (I think) is a verbal permission.

The first and is equally important as the second on is `Release Form`. This form has to be used for your main interviewee and maybe if you have recognisable under 18`s in your frame.
The form covers You and the person that you are interviewing. You get them to sign it and this gives you their permission to film them and to use the footage as you, and the people you work for to use it as they like. It also states where the footage may be used and gives world rights. If they sign it and then REFUSE you permission to use it, it is then up to you or your employer if you do use it. The person has no say. Depending on the reason that they give would constitute you and your morals if you do use it. It is a legal document so the court would normally back you. They may refuse to sign it for certain reasons (before filming!). In this case you could say that you would film them in Silhouette or disguise their voice.

The second Form is the Health and Safety Assessment Form. I haven`t seen this form yet, but it is a very complex form to fill in. Basically, you have to think up ways on how an accident is caused or happens, and think up ways on how to prevent it. This is also really a legal requirement and some places ask to see this form before letting you film. It also covers you, them and your employer for insurances purposes. I may or may not use this form because it will only be me filming, or my friend and we will not have any trailing wires etc. Will will use batteries on everything and the camera may or may not have a camera light. The course covered health and safety and how to walk properly with the camera backwards so this makes it possible for you to fill out this form in a legal sense.

The third thing you have to do is to get permission from the person who owns the building that you are going to film in. You don`t want to be kicked out do you!

That is most things covered. No jokes from me on this thread yet!

Be good.

PS. I just wanted to let you all know what `proper` filming entails and wondered if any of you good people had to do this sort of thing and would it make you give up filming for good. It`s almost doing that to me, and that's without any video club members involved!
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Chrisbitz

Post by Chrisbitz »

Do you have an example H&S form and release form you can post?

I use a release form that appears quite all-encompassing, and I've heard of risk assessment, but never really known what to do...

Do you do one for almost every shoot, or have a universal, re-useable one, or a variety of re-usable ones that you can pick out??
I like to make films, this is- my Youtube account. What's yours?

"all of the above is nothing more than nonsensical ramblings, and definately should NOT be misconstrued as anyone's official policy"
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Do you have an example H&S form and release form you can post?

That's a good idea Chrisbitz.

Ian if you can send me privately a scan of the form/s or electronic copy if you have them as a Word document or something I think it might be useful to adapt them for use by any non-commercial film maker. I could ask the webmaster about making them available on the main website for everyone.

Dave
Chrisbitz

Post by Chrisbitz »

This is the one I use...

Model release form
I like to make films, this is- my Youtube account. What's yours?

"all of the above is nothing more than nonsensical ramblings, and definately should NOT be misconstrued as anyone's official policy"
stingman

Post by stingman »

To be honest, They arn`t my property but below is the headings of the Release form. The Health and saftey form I don`t have. These should be sent to me but these would be a legal contract between me, hopenws/vivid Broadcast and the insurance company. These would very between companys and insurance firms.

Release Form for 18+ year olds

Series: XXXXNews Episode: Date:

Contributors Details.....
Your Name.
Address.

Daytime Phone Number.
Mobile Phone Number.
Email.

By signing this form Blar. Blar. Blar

Signed.
Print Name.
Date.
Regional Team Name.
Signed.

And thats it really. The Blar bit has all the legal bits which you can add to your own devises.

I hope this helps.

But Sorry, i`m not really willing to give out the health and safty form as mentioned above and also we have been told not to share forms with other organisations as there really is alot of legal and hardwork in writing up the forms in the first place.

Stingman
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

I take your point, Ian. These forms are not yours to offer.
The catch is that it is precisely the "legal blah" that we all want to get right if we have to use such forms.

Chrisbitz has shown us one form. Can anyone else show us in the forum - or email me privately - with others?

My notion is to assemble the best bits of several of them, run them past a friendly lawyer and make the result available on the website for the benefit of all non-commercial movie makers.

Dave

PS Maybe we should insist people fill them in in duplicate and send a copy to Stingman since he loves paperwork !
stingman

Post by stingman »

Dave Watterson wrote: PS Maybe we should insist people fill them in in duplicate and send a copy to Stingman since he loves paperwork !
Don`t say that :lol: They proberly will.
You give THEM to many ideas. Stop encourageing them!

Stingman
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
ned c

Post by ned c »