'Ow to get to 'Arrogate?

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Pqtrick

'Ow to get to 'Arrogate?

Post by Pqtrick »

Ou est 'arrogate? Now having the shoe sur les autre pied, I can see travelling to film festivals back to the UK is not that easy. How does one, I can say that now, using the French 'on' How does one get to 'Arrogate? Not easily, and in these days of a wide choice of cheap air travel the connections in this case they do not tie up. Train, bus, car, ferry and air travel, well a mix and match of that, and yes you can get there. I take my hat off to those who voyage from far and wide and from exotic places like Zummerset. But for me, travelling about in the UK is now just a bind with three change by train there, after a bus, train and plane here, is the limit Last year, I thought that BAIFF 'down south' was a 'no no' and it was mentioned by a former IAC chairman that the overseas visitors like it there as it is easy to get to! I am sorry about the bleat, but I am just frustrated that the two of us cannot get there reasonably easily and or most importantly economically. A balance just has to be made, so this year it is not going to be possible – Now, I know of a jolie chateau en Normandie!
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

It is a fair point, Patrick. Of course it also applies to British people going to festivals in other countries. And as you wryly note it can often be difficult for people from parts of the UK to come to events because of transport problems.

In your position I would be checking the various flights from Chambery to Leeds-Bradford Airport - they are mainly winter holiday services but some may extend into April. Avignon is also a relatively quick train journey from Lyons and has similar holiday flights to Leeds-Bradford but they cover the summer period too. You could perhaps fly out from one and back to the other using different airlines if necessary.

Both airports offer cheap flights and from there it is a fairly straightforward trip into Leeds and on by the frequent rail service to Harrogate.

The internet does at least make it easier to plan such journeys efficiently.

Sometimes you need to think a bit sideways ...

For example last year a friend in Metz needed to go to Harrogate and I suggested he go via Brussels and Leeds-Bradford rather than making his way to Paris and flying from there to Manchester which - as a patriotic Frenchman - was his first intention.

For Jan and me our favourite of all festivals is the Festival of Nations in Ebensee, Austria (sorry BIAFF !) The "obvious" airport to fly to is Salzburg but cheap flights often reach that town at inconvenient times. Our usual route is to fly to Linz from Stansted on a cheapie and complete the journey in a train journey across northern Austria.

If it makes you feel slightly less miserable ... our journey from Bath to Harrogate will mean either a 4/5 hour drive each way or a similar length of time going by rail with changes in London and possibly York at a price I hate to contemplate.

And we have it easy compared to many people.

How is everyone else planning to get to BIAFF?

Dave
fraught

Post by fraught »

Sadly... i shall be visiting family in Northern Ireland at the time of the Festival... so will miss out this time.

I may put my neck on the line here... but i used to enjoy the festivals when they were in London. I know i'm in the minority... but it was easier for me. :wink:
ned c

Post by ned c »

So you guys in Europe think you have it tough, spare a thought for us here in the USA. The AMPS/AMMA/TBW Festival is held in the West, the most convenient for me was when it was in Las Vegas, a mere 130 road miles away. Last year in Southern California, a six hour drive. For visitors from the East coast and the Midwest they had to fly to LAX and then rent a car.

With rising transportation and hotel costs we are debating what the future will be. One suggestion is sending out the winners on DVDs to suitable centers and having one day mini-fests to ease the costs. All suggestions welcome,

ned c
fraught

Post by fraught »

LOL.... true... that does sound a pain.

Can you not hold it in one place and then broadcast the event over the web Live?
ned c

Post by ned c »

Thanks Fraught. That is a possibility we have not considered but must be the wave of the future. Anyone tried it?

ned c