Were your notes from the judges helpful?

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Post Reply
Dave Watterson

Were your notes from the judges helpful?

Post by Dave Watterson » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:57 pm

The IAC competition gives each entrant a written comment from judges on each
of their entries.

The length and quality of notes is variable.

Would anyone care to comment on the notes you got?

Be anonymous if you like by inventing a name and changing details so that
your film cannot be identified.

Dave

Willy Van der Linden

Re: Were your notes from the judges helpful?

Post by Willy Van der Linden » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:47 pm

"Dave Watterson" <forums@theiac.org.uk> wrote:
The IAC competition gives each entrant a written comment from judges on
each
of their entries.

The length and quality of notes is variable.

Would anyone care to comment on the notes you got?

Be anonymous if you like by inventing a name and changing details so that
your film cannot be identified.

Dave
I don't want to be anonymous. I have no reasons to be anonymous.
I was very pleased with the written comments from the judges.
In "More Sex, Please" (one minute movie) the judges said : "the only weakness
was the glimpse into the Sperm Cabin through the door". Congratulations,
judges ! Very well observed.
"The Safe" is another one minute movie. The judges wrote : "We were a little
uneasy that the joke depended on making fun of a disability. It can't be
easy being cross-eyed". My apologies, judges ! It's good to tell me. Next
time I will be more careful. Your comments have helped me. I really mean
it ! I feel embarassed !
In my third one minute movie called "Sweetie" a pussy-cat eats a part of
the organs of a dog. The judges wrote : "It worked very well and although
some may view it as bad taste, we enjoyed the joke very much". I expected
it a little bit. The English are cat-lovers and/or dog-lovers. The joke was
perhaps a little bit hard for dog-lovers. I found the inpiration in a Croation
cartoon that won an international festival in Belgium. Sorry, dog-lovers
!
The final judges' comments wrote about "Until You Smile", the film about
my English friend and musical entertainer, the following thing : "We need
to know more about him earlier on (rather than about his family) to appreciate
him..." and "We didn't see his wife -who was suddenly no longer mentioned
so one is left to wonder what happened to her." I don't agree with these
comments. The things that Brian Higbee tells us about his father and sister
in the beginning of the film are functional. For instance he says that his
father played the piano and that he sang songs... His father had sense of
humour... There is also a contradiction in these comments. I showed a black
and white photograph of his wife Cynthia Higbee and I said that they moved
into Devon. But why did the final judges want to know what happened to her
? It is a film about him in the first place. It's about the singer and entertainer
Brian Higbee.
I agreed with the follwing thing : "It takes a while to know what's it about".
In my new version, that was made after the deadline (4th January 2006), the
viewers already know from the beginning on what the film is about.

I must say that I was very pleased with th judges' comments in general. Also
Samuel Faict, the young filmmaker of my club, will be very pleased. The comments
on his films will encourage him to make even better films.

I don't take part in Biaff to win silver or gold or even more, but also to
know what other people (judges) may think about my films. Sometimes there
is nonsense in these comments, but most of the time the judges are right.

Willy Van der Linden

BIAFF written comments

Post by Willy Van der Linden » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:52 am

"
"Dave Watterson" <forums@theiac.org.uk> wrote:

The IAC competition gives each entrant a written comment from judges on
each of their entries.
I wonder what the final judges have written about "Nothing Girl". Peter Rouillard
said : "I would not be surprised if "Nothing Girl" goes down in IAC's history
as the most inept piece of "work" ever to gain an international award." He's
right. To be honest I didn't understand the film and when Dave asked me during
the interval what I thought about it I hesitated a bit. Technically it was
not good. That was clear. But perhaps I didn't understand the film because
I am not intelligent enough. Anyway I appreciate the film. We must appreciate
all the films that are made by amateurs and who take part in BIAFF. It's
not Pierre Daudelin's "fault" that he has won an international award. Hopefully
the final judges have not given Pierre an international award to give BIAFF
an intercontinental "cachet". The best films must win the international awards.
If the best eight films are British, all the international awards must be
given to British filmmakers then. All the other films in the award winners
show were superb. In one of my previous messages I told you which films I
love most. I've forgotten to mention one : "Biyik" (best story). That was
the film about the moustaches, wasn't it ? It was great ! But if you compare
"Nothing Girl" with the German film "How the Time Flies", the film I saw
on Saturday ... What a difference then !

One more thing about "Hannah". I am so pleased that Urbain has won "The Daily
Mail Trophy". We also think of his "Prinsje" and "Cinemascope". Fantastic
films ! In particular I admire the atmosphere created in his films by using
spotlights. The lighting in his films is wonderful. But, please, don't
forget his filmmate Magda Verbist. She worked together with Urbain when making
"Hannah" and "Dimato". She's given the stories. She's edited the films together
with Urbain and she has done more to create these wonderful films. She could
not attend BIAFF because she has an invalid husband who can hardly leave
his wheelchair. She's a polyglot and she reads the articles on our IAC website.
I've already called her to congratulate her. She's very happy and would like
to make more films together with Urbain in the future. Also Urbain phoned
her after the show on Sunday.

Ned C

Re: Were your notes from the judges helpful?

Post by Ned C » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:45 pm

Are comments sent out for all the entries regardless of award?

Ned C

"Dave Watterson" <forums@theiac.org.uk> wrote:
The IAC competition gives each entrant a written comment from judges on
each
of their entries.

The length and quality of notes is variable.

Would anyone care to comment on the notes you got?

Be anonymous if you like by inventing a name and changing details so that
your film cannot be identified.

Dave

Peter Copestake

Re: Were your notes from the judges helpful?

Post by Peter Copestake » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:52 pm

"Dave Watterson" <forums@theiac.org.uk> wrote:
The IAC competition gives each entrant a written comment from judges on
each
of their entries.

The length and quality of notes is variable.

Would anyone care to comment on the notes you got?

Be anonymous if you like by inventing a name and changing details so that
your film cannot be identified.

Dave
Not as much as usual, Dave. Peter C.

Dave Watterson

Re: Were your notes from the judges helpful?

Post by Dave Watterson » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:00 pm

"Ned C" <ned@ampsvideo.com> wrote:
Are comments sent out for all the entries regardless of award?

Yes, Ned. The notes are partly an attempt to help film makers as well as
to show appreciation of their work. For that reason we often spend more time
working on notes for people whose films won Blue or Bronze Standard than
for the Gold winners.

It may be that Brian hung on to some notes is case the makers attended the
festival - he always prefers to hand over notes directly to the person concerned.
If that were the case he would have posted them on last week.

If you have not received anything in the next few days, let me know and I
will see if I can find out what has happened.

Dave

Ian Gardner

Re: Were your notes from the judges helpful?

Post by Ian Gardner » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:24 pm

"Dave Watterson" <david.filmsocs@virgin.net> wrote:
"Ned C" <ned@ampsvideo.com> wrote:
Are comments sent out for all the entries regardless of award?

Yes, Ned. The notes are partly an attempt to help film makers as well as
to show appreciation of their work. For that reason we often spend more
time
working on notes for people whose films won Blue or Bronze Standard than
for the Gold winners.

It may be that Brian hung on to some notes is case the makers attended the
festival - he always prefers to hand over notes directly to the person concerned.
If that were the case he would have posted them on last week.

If you have not received anything in the next few days, let me know and
I
will see if I can find out what has happened.

Dave
I received my comments and they were very encourageing. The only critism
would be is that they made a comment on `flickering` on the end still on
`Royal Invitation`. I had been really trying to get ride of this. In Premiere,
to get a still image, you have to save the frame as a Bitmap etc. You then
import this and put it on the timeline and extend it to the required length.
I did this but the flickering continued. Yes, my fault, but quite hade to
get rid of.
Ian Gardner

Dave Watterson

Re: Were your notes from the judges helpful?

Post by Dave Watterson » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:58 pm

"Ian Gardner" <ian@gardner44.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
I had been really trying to get ride of this. In Premiere,
to get a still image, you have to save the frame as a Bitmap etc. You then
import this and put it on the timeline and extend it to the required length.
I did this but the flickering continued.
Me too! I had that problem a lot.

The answer is that you can tell Premiere to stop getting its flickers in
a twist. The method depends on which verion you have. On 5.1 select the
still on the timeline, right-click on it and choose from the pop-up menu
something like "field options" (I'm working from memory here.) In there you
find an option to "remove flicker". On Premiere Pro it is ... damn. can't
recall. But check the menus and right-click menus because the same facility
is there too. It makes a great difference.

Sorry - I'm not posting from home at present so cannot check directly what
to do.

Dave d-d-d-d-dave

Ian Gardner

Re: Were your notes from the judges helpful?

Post by Ian Gardner » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:23 pm

"Dave Watterson" <david.filmsocs@virgin.net> wrote:
"Ian Gardner" <ian@gardner44.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
I had been really trying to get ride of this. In Premiere,
to get a still image, you have to save the frame as a Bitmap etc. You then
import this and put it on the timeline and extend it to the required length.
I did this but the flickering continued.

Me too! I had that problem a lot.

The answer is that you can tell Premiere to stop getting its flickers in
a twist. The method depends on which verion you have. On 5.1 select the
still on the timeline, right-click on it and choose from the pop-up menu
something like "field options" (I'm working from memory here.) In there
you
find an option to "remove flicker". On Premiere Pro it is ... damn. can't
recall. But check the menus and right-click menus because the same facility
is there too. It makes a great difference.
Dave d-d-d-d-dave
I think I did try that. I filmed it about 9 months ago, so cannot remember.
I think it`s called, Flicker Removal, or de-interlace.
Thanks
Ian gardner

tom hardwick

Re: Were your notes from the judges helpful?

Post by tom hardwick » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:58 am

import this and put it on the timeline and extend it to the required length.
I did this but the flickering continued. Yes, my fault, but quite hade to
get rid of.
You should be able to right click on the bitmap clip and choose deinterlace.
This should stop the flickering, which is especially bad on a 50 Hz CRT
TV.

tom.

Post Reply