DVD and Blu-ray discs

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Michael Slowe

Re: DVD and Blu-ray discs

Post by Michael Slowe »

Well, I think that this matter has been well and truly debated, as usual, by the half dozen sensible users of this forum.
With the last few contributions digested it seems that streaming is the way things are going, notwithstanding the interruptions that Ken complains about and which drive my dear wife potty! These are not even rare occurrences but presumably will lessen with the improved broadband that is being rolled out. Tim really has the important point, you can pick almost any commercial film ever made and find it on one of the main networks. For those like Ken (and in part myself) who have a collection of favourite films this may not be so important, but, as has been said, how many times to you view a given film?

What really concerns us film makers, is how we distribute our own productions. Jameela explains the rigmarole that she has to go through to get a film from a stick (drive) to the TV screen. Most of us, except Tom who is way ahead of the game, have to do something similar. Discs avoid all that and, what is the most important point, they can be handed to anyone with a player. The youngsters don't have players and they don't have disc slots in their computers so I direct them to either my personal film web site or my Vimeo site but the film will probably only be viewed on a computer.

Discs might well survive for many more years but the people that we would like to hand our discs to won't have players, it's a simple as that.
Ken Wilson

Post by Ken Wilson »

I would just like to add that when I ask couples if they still have a DVD player to watch their final edited wedding video, some tell us that they play discs on a Playstation games console! So as gaming seems to be thriving as a hobby/ pastime, perhaps this facility, which enables discs to be played this way, will help keep the market going?
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Good point about the games consoles, Ken. I suspect most of us here don't have games consoles or any interest in them, so we probably don't consider that as an option. I don't know how widespread Playstations/X-Boxes are among the under 40s (or under 50s) probably moreso than would have guessed.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

I also agree with Howard. I've been a film collector since I bought my first cine projector and nowadays all my collecting is on DVD/Blu-ray of which I have several hundred, with movies ranging from the silent era to the present day. I also enjoy the extras on many discs, especially the special editions. I have my own home cinema set up, and with many classic films having undergone a restoration process they look fabulous on the big screen. Interestingly there are still many collectors who prefer to buy movies on real film, such as Super 8 and 16mm, and I'm pleased to say that the annual northern film collectors convention which had to be cancelled last year has been confirmed for the 21st November at the Grand Hotel in Blackpool with a weekend of events for those who wish to stay over. One thing I've missed during the pandemic has been going to the cinema but I have now resumed and in the last week have seen a special presentation of the silent movie "Chicago" with live music at the Bo'ness Hippodrome near Falkirk, and the new Bond Film at the Cineworld in Glasgow.
Brian Saberton
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Yes but Brian, were not those projections from hard drives? Most cinemas are digital now and I'm afraid that all our discs might have to be transferred to drives in the not so distant future.