THE BIRMINGHAM FILM FESTIVAL

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Howard-Smith

THE BIRMINGHAM FILM FESTIVAL

Post by Howard-Smith » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:17 am

Has anyone had any experience of THE BIRMINGHAM FILM FESTIVAL? This year it’s being held from 20th to 25th November at the Millennium Point cinema in the city centre. Having had my films rejected for so many festivals via Film Freeway, I’m rather pleased that one of my 4 star award winners at BIAFF 2018, HOLLIE, has been officially selected for showing, and it’s been nominated in two categories, BEST SHORT FILM and BEST LOCAL FILM. The Gala Awards ceremony on the evening of Saturday 24th November is a bit pricey at £60 (though this does include a meal) but I shall definitely be there. I wonder if anyone other IAC members submitted a film to this festival and will be attending the awards ceremony?

TimStannard

Re: THE BIRMINGHAM FILM FESTIVAL

Post by TimStannard » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:51 pm

That's fantastic Howard. Many congratulations. Personally I've avoided any festivals (outside of stricly amateur festivals) that aren't free to enter as I always assume my own material wouldn't be suitable anyway and I have no interest in "competing" with tomorrows star film makers ("I know my place" as Ronnie Corbett famously once said). What's more I have a cynical view that most of these festivals, even if they start out beneficially, soon become merely money making machines.

So, getting a film screened in that environment is no mean feat. Well done!

You'll recall that "Hollie" was my favourite of your films at last year's BIAFF (and I commented as such at the CEMRIAC Spring Festival) so I have every expectation that it will be duly rewarded at the Birmingham Festival.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it

Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:49 pm

Thanks Tim. Yes, a lot of the film festivals charge an entry fee and then reject one’s entry without any refund or feedback. But I’m prepared to ‘gamble’ a few entry fees for the occasional acceptance.

Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:41 pm

I too often submit films to festivals using FilmFreeway and Withoutabox. Like Howard I receive mostly rejections but get the occasional acceptance and it's always nice to see one's film projected in a cinema. However, I do agree with Tim in that most of these 'festivals' are money making enterprises and over time one can spend quite a bit unless care is taken in selecting from an enormous number of festivals. They get literally thousands of entries so it's all a bit of a lottery and not really worthwhile.

Willy

Post by Willy » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:29 pm

Congratulations, Michael! Good to hear that you are still making movies and that they are successful.
Willy Van der Linden

Willy

Post by Willy » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:06 pm

And of course, congratulations Howard-Smith!!!!!! I am glad you have won awards at the Birmingham Film Festival. You are one of the most respected filmmakers and judges of the IAC!
Willy Van der Linden

Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:41 pm

Many thanks Willy! You are so kind.
Of course I haven't yet actually WON any awards at the Birmingham Film Festival but it's great to have two nominations and to have my film officially selected. I shall find out how I've fared during the Awards ceremony which is Saturday evening 24th November.