The Evolution of Home Entertainment

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
John Simpson

The Evolution of Home Entertainment

Post by John Simpson »

Stories and Music were perhaps the first home entertainment, then more organised theater and photography including cine, then TV & Video and now internet & smart phone. Each step has had a commercial element. One of the founder members of Weymouth Movie Makers was telling me that back in the 1930's the local camera shop was greatly encouraging the formation of the then cine club. In my childhood I remember the local camera shop organising colour slide competitions and the winners show had a huge screen and sequenced Kodak Carousel projectors, the shows were very popular.

Where are we now is a good question, young people like snapchat and suchlike, and even adults seem to play computer games but beyond that I get the feeling that there is a bit of a void in family home entertainment, perhaps we are waiting for the next big thing!
TimStannard

Re: The Evolution of Home Entertainment

Post by TimStannard »

Family home entertainment is still surely the TV. Now a much more cinematic experience for those who want (and can afford) it.
I suspect COVID will make us value going out - especially in groupd, family or otherwise - for entertainment. I, for one, despite "loving" live music, now realise I hadn't attended nearly as many gigs as I should have done in order to support it. Ditto local theatre.
Funnily enough, the one thing i don't feel I've missed, is the cinema.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
John Simpson

Re: The Evolution of Home Entertainment

Post by John Simpson »

There is normally a need for passive forms of entertainment and active, involved creativity. Nearly anyone can do the passive form! Film making is more active and can be more rewarding. At different times there is a need for both active and passive forms.