VideoPad

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
ned c

Re: VideoPad

Post by ned c »

My trial still seems to be working but will try again in a couple of days. The home editor version is US$40 but is limited to two sound tracks which is very restricting; and will not accept plug ins. The "Master" version is US$70 with unlimited sound tracks and accepts plug ins. I currently use Vegas Pro 18 and see that Magix are offering Vegas Studio Platinum 17 on special at US$40 which in my opinion is a bargain as this is a very powerful program which I used before moving up to the Pro version (for many years I used FCP). Using it should be no more complex than using Videopad.

ned c
Jill Lampert

Post by Jill Lampert »

Yes, it seems good. But I'm looking for something for someone who can't afford to pay anything at the moment. A beginner.The thing is I don't want her to put a lot of energy into learning VideoPad and then discovering that she can only make say one disc or one mp4 file.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Jill. I can only speak about my own experience. I am denied any type of export at all so I can't even make an MP4 file unless I purchase the Video Editor. Maybe there are two different downloads. The free one which I am using, and a download of a trial of the pro version. The latter would have a time limit. I wouldn't be sure of this. Perhaps Ned can enlighten us. He speaks about the Vegas programmes. I can say with experience, I used Sony Movie studio HD platinum production suite for a long time with excellent results until Magix took over and from then on I could not use the programme. I could not get any sense from Magix, so it was a lost money investment as far as I was concerned. After that a friend sold me a powerful computer which had Adobe CS6 already installed and I have used Adobe ever since placing over 40 videos on YouTube.
Jill Lampert

Post by Jill Lampert »

Interesting,Roy. Can you have a look and see what version of VideoPad you have? If I go to the teeny arrow top right of the screen, a menu appears. If I scroll down to the last item, it says 'About VideoPad'. If I click on that I get a little box which gives me the details of the version I have. At the bottom of that it says "Unlicensed Version. Non-commercial home use only."
I have made several mp4 files and I've just burned two dvds. I'm wondering whether you and Ned have the same version as this? NB I've only just re-installed it...so it may count as only one day's use or something. Ridiculous that it's so difficult to tell what is free and what is trial!
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

JILL. I have or had the Unlicensed for home use only version. I have now removed it from my PC as I have learned how to use the programme. . It was only something to do whilst in lock down. I am now re-editing some of my videos using Adobe CS6 as something to do. I really don't know of any really free editing programmes except one and that is Davinci resolve. I can't recommend this for raw beginners as it is a very steep learning curve, so much so, that many experienced video makers have found it hard to manage. I don't use it because it will 0nly work with Windows 10. I still work on all my computers with Windows 7. I don't like Windows 10 anyway. It's probally my age and I am getting set in my ways. Sorry I can't be more helpful in the matter. regards Roy Alexander
ned c

Post by ned c »

https://vimeo.com/513441646

I have made two more .mp4 files successfully; I also used the direct to Vimeo facility which worked amazingly well; the link above.

The version I have is: VideoPad v 10.12 64 bit unlicensed version. I use Windows 10 in a fairly powerful computer.

There are three video tracks, two audio tracks; to open the second track collapse the first track. The remaining question is just how long the features continue to function in the free version and I can find no clear answer to that. In terms of functionality it is very well featured and straightforward to use.

The test I did used very old HD clips I just grabbed from an old file; I will remove the Vimeo file in a couple of days along with VideoPad. (The young boy in the clip, my grandson, is now a post- graduate!) An interesting experiment. Thanks to Roy and Jill.

ned c
ned c

Post by ned c »

As an alternative have a look at HitFilm Express which is free and well featured; lots of demos on YouTube.

ned c
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Jill. This may or maynot be of help to you. If you are using Windows 10 you can download an app called Photos App which replaces Windows Movie Maker. This allows you to edit your videos and it is completely free. It aims to help beginners
Jill Lampert

Post by Jill Lampert »

Thanks very much Roy and Ned.

I shall persevere a bit with VideoPad just to satisfy my own curiosity about what happens after a few weeks! I find it extraordinary that NCH are so unclear about what it is they're offering. Ned, if there are only two audio tracks, I think it's a non-starter. I think one needs sync sound, voice-over, sound effects and music tracks for some films? So far my version has plenty of tracks, but I'm guessing that will stop soon?

Yes, I agree that HitFilm is the most likely 'runner'. Or of course Davinci Resolve. But I think they're both such a steep learning curve that I'm worried about recommending them. Still, I might find myself deciding to say that you've just got to work at it and learn if you want a decent editor for free!

Roy, I think that the Windows 10 Photo edit software is what she's editing on now. But it's incredibly limited. That's the problem.

Anyway, I appreciate you both giving your time and energy to replying to my queries!
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Jill. With VideoPad the trial lasts 30 days. That's official
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Jill Lampert wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:30 pm Roy, I think that the Windows 10 Photo edit software is what she's editing on now. But it's incredibly limited. That's the problem.
And herein lies the problem. Complexity vs simplicity.

I'm not convinced by the "steep learning curve" argument. Imagine a basic requirement. Import some video. Chop it up a bit on the timeline. Add some titles. Export to mp4.

Strip away every other capability and, whilst the process might be slighty different, all NLEs are basically driven the same way for these functions. - and require a similar number of keystrokes/mouse movements.

So, it's really a case of showing the beginner what buttons to press and what buttons not to press ("don't press the red button!")
It may also be a case of setting up system preferences and showing thethe user as set of parameters to use when rendering - so long as the newbie has someone like those of us who frequent this forum to help in the first instance, there is no reason a beginner should find DaVinci Resolve any more complex than something like VideoPad.

The difficulty, of course, is getting the beginner to ignore the 98% of the program which is not required for the basic edit. I blame it on the enquiring mind - part of the human condition. How many times do we get frustrated when trying something new and scream out "But I just want to ....". This is often because we are presented with too many things we don't want to do, but the enquiring mind makes it very difficult to concentrate solely on the task in hand.

Mathematics has a steep learning curve, but we can teach pre-schoolers to add and subtract partially because they are not distracted by (because they are not aware of) calculus and trigonometry.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Tim. You may be right but maybe you are assuming that everybody has the same degree of learning power. e.g some people pass exams and others fail. The failures can be quite brilliant in other aspects of life. Stay safe.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Roy, please rest asssured I am totally aware of the differences in learning power. Nowhere is this more evident than in seeing my own capacity to learn things diminish quite frighteningly over the past 20 years (and as a youngster of 60 I find this very scary).
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Tim is a good teacher ... in my stumbling efforts with Movie Studio Platinum a few years ago, he was the person I turned to for help. He gave generously and some day I may even finish a film!
ned c

Post by ned c »

Many years ago I was introduced to NLE through the weekend training courses run by the IAC at Wansfell College. I remember attending courses run by David Jackson which established my basic understanding of NLE. Here is an opportunity for the IAC when the present situation eases but is now perhaps the time to plan?

ned c