VideoPad

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Roy1

VideoPad

Post by Roy1 »

Hi. I hope everyone like me is free of the cursed virus and are obeying the lock down rules. To while away my time I am attepting to learn how to use different editing programmes. I have stumbled across and excellent programme called VideoPad and I am wondering if anyone else has or are using it.
For non commercial users it is free and even if you pay for it,it is very cheap. I have found it does everthing that Adobe premiere does and it will send to You Tube, Vimeo and to a DVD or Blu-ray disc directly without using any other programme. The download also includes many videos to show how to do things. Unfortunately at 93 I don't understand them as they seem to be experts talking to experts. That's why I am making this query so that I could contact someone if I have any difficulty using the programme. Up to now I am managing by trial and error and doing very well. Cheers
ned c

Re: VideoPad

Post by ned c »

There are several tutorials on YouTube; seems remarkably powerful . I will give it a try. Thanks Roy.

Ned c
Jill Lampert

Post by Jill Lampert »

Are you using the free one, Roy?
I'm trying to find a FREE editing program for a member of my club. Coincidentally I downloaded the free VideoPad yesterday and had a go with it and was pleased with it. But then I read a few very negative reviews, so I worried about recommending it to a beginner. What d'you think?
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Hi. Jill. Yes I am using the free version which is exactly the same as the paid one. As regards the negative reviews you talk about, it depend on who is giving the negative reviews, there is always someone complaining about something. I am using Adobe CS6, Adobe CS5, Magix Movie Edit. I have tried Davinci Resolve which is to complicated for me. I have no hesitation is recommending VideoPad for beginners as it does what it is supposed to do and is fairly easy to operate. No harm in giving it a try. Good luck.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Hi again Jill. |s a matter of interest I have just googled for the first time as Videopad video editor reviews and have found that all the professional independent reveiwers and magazine technical reviewers, without question say that videopad is brilliant for beginners and is a very professional editor.
Hope this helps you to make a decision. Stay safe. regards Roy Alexander,
ned c

Post by ned c »

I downloaded the free version of VideoPad and gave it a quick try. I loaded a few clips; put them on the timeline; added a title and rendered to an.mp4 file. All straightforward with a good rendered file. However; reading some of the reviews, apparently after a short time some of the features in the free version are deactivated but it is not clear which they are.

ned c
Jill Lampert

Post by Jill Lampert »

Ned, I downloaded the one which was 'trial' and later one which was 'free'. I think the 'trial' is different from the free one in that it has more features to begin with and maybe they disappear after a while? And the trial kept asking me if I wanted to upgrade.
Does anyone think that's right?
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

I have been using this editor every day for a month and none of the features have disapeared so far. I have just completed a 17 minute video with many effects, titles etc. and put the result onto a Blu-ray disc. All straight forward and no problem. Perhaps I have been lucky.
ned c

Post by ned c »

Roy; which version are you working with?

Thanks ned c
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Ned. I am using the free version. I have never been asked to upgrade. Although the free version is for non commercial home use, you can actually upload to you Tube as long as you don't receive money from You Tube. Regarding features disapearing, and I might be wrong about this, The suite is available with the editor, but these included features are actually a trial and after a period they will longer operate unless you purchase them. As regards other negative reviews, I seem to remember that the posters were refering to an earlier version called videopad pro. Again I could be wrong. Regards Roy Alexander
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

NED. I have noticed an error in my last post to you. In the third line down, it should read> After a period they will NO longer operate< Blame old age for mistake. Cheers stay safe.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Hi Jill and Ned. Regarding VideoPad editor. I am afraid the NCH website's blurb about what the free version user can do is misleading. Yes the editor will always edit and all the FX and title FX's will be there, But what the free version user can't do is to export the timeline to make Discs etc. I have successfully exported to a Blu-Ray disc and am very happy with it. HOWEVER when I tried to make a second DVD after editing a new set of clips, A panel told me that I had had the trial and if I wanted to export again I would have to buy the editing programme. I still think that the VIDEOPAD editor is a brilliant piece of work and would be happy to pay the small price asked to purchase it if I was to use it as my main editor. I would still recommend it to a beginner to learn editing as it is very easy to master. Having said all that, I think NCH should make clear what is free and what is a trial. Thanks for reading and I hope any would be free users now can understand what it's all about. Stay safe. Roy Alexander
Jill Lampert

Post by Jill Lampert »

So Roy, can you still make an mp4 file? Even after the trial has run out?
ned c

Post by ned c »

Out of curiosity I reopened the free Videopad; loaded clips plus a typewriter title and created an .mp4 file. I did this twice so the free version retains its ability to make .mp4 files. I failed to read the set up window on the first render and on the second render saw the frame rate defaults to 45 fps variable; this is something completely new to me. For the second render I set the frame rate to 30 fps (I am in the USA). On viewing i could not tell the difference between the two. My conclusion is that Videopad is a good introductory software to editing.

ned c
Jill Lampert

Post by Jill Lampert »

Ned, has your 'free trial' run out? It seems that although Roy has been using his for ages, the free trial has only just run out when he tried to burn a second disc.
I'd like to be sure that even after the free trial has run out the user can go on making mp4 files forever?