VideoPad

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Jill Lampert

Re: VideoPad

Post by Jill Lampert »

The IAC used to run training courses???
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Hi Jill. If your beginner is using the Windows editor, I assume that she has mastered the basics of editing etc. So may I suggest that she try Da Vinci resolve. As it is free, she'll have nothing to lose financially if it doesn't suit her. Best of luck to her, It's always nice to hear of people wanting to make videos as they should be made. Stay safe.
ned c

Post by ned c »

Jill; yes the IAC ran weekend courses at Wansfell; they may have been in association with Essex CC; successful and well attended. I believe they also ran courses at another center in the Midlands. The earliest I attended at Wansfell were in the mid 60s; the NLE in the late 80s. In my view this is a great future opportunity for the IAC. The tutors were very experienced IAC members. These courses were the foundation of my film making knowledge.

ned c
Jill Lampert

Post by Jill Lampert »

Roy, I suggested she try Davinci Resolve. She looked into it and found that it requires a minimum of 16gb ram - preferably 32. She hasn't got that much. Don't know how much she's got. So I've encouraged her to try HitFilm.

Ned, that sounds really good! I wish the IAC would organise similar things now.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Dave Watterson wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:50 pm Tim is a good teacher ... in my stumbling efforts with Movie Studio Platinum a few years ago, he was the person I turned to for help.
Gosh, I'd forgtten all about that! Yes, I'd become reasonably proficient at Vegas and was happy to share my knowedge as, at the time, I couldn't understand why more people weren't using the program. Thanks for the compliment, though I'm not sure Martine would agree, me having failed to teach her a single thing about computers in twenty years.

But on the more serious subject of IAC run courses I wonder if there is a market. Most people get their training from tutorials posted by manufacturers and users, and there's a weath of information out there. What's more, there are usually several different people posting tutorial series. and if you don't get on with one presenter's style of teaching you can probably find someone with a different style.

However, I'm sure there must be many people who would prefer hands on, training in a classroom. It is unlikely there will be enough to run it on a local basis so weekly evening sessions are probably out (although Reading seem to manage). This leaves us with the idea of a weekend, but I wonder, in this day and age how many takers there would be.

Not many people can spare a weekend (although covid is making us all re-evaluate priorities), the there's the cost of hotel accommodation and presumably the course. The course would realistically require cost of location, bunch of hired in computers, licences for the software even if the tuutor gave their time in preparation and teaching for free.

I could see this potentially working for people wanting intermediate/advanced instruction, but would beginners be prepared to fork out quite so much for a hobby they have presumably only just started (and therefore might not stick with).

The usual imbalance comes into play - they're probably prepared to pay £2,000 on a camera, but not £200 on learning. It's just human nature. (In the same way that most people, initially at least, don't spend any money on audio equipment).
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
ned c

Post by ned c »

I believe the Wansfell courses were run in conjunction with the local education authority so maybe there is some way of subsidising as adult education; perhaps the University 3rd age (is that correct is it U3?) may be a source of support?

My point is that these courses would appeal to people of what I may call a mature age with enough money and time to invest in a short residential course. When I did the courses I was in my 40s so well below the age of the current demographic but there was no internet then. An ideal location would be a university with a film school. I will check with our local film school to see if they would do something like that; anyone fancy a trip to SW Utah?

There are two opportunities here; I still believe that a student section at BIAFF would help establish a relationship between the IAC and film schools with a potential possibility of using university facilities for BIAFF and/or education.

Just rambling on!

ned c
Jill Lampert

Post by Jill Lampert »

D'you think the IAC would fund my air fare, Ned?
Great ideas of yours!
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

ned c wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:19 pm There are two opportunities here; I still believe that a student section at BIAFF would help establish a relationship between the IAC and film schools with a potential possibility of using university facilities for BIAFF and/or education.
Yes to both suggestions.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Hi. I have by accident found out a disturbing fact about th way this company conducts its business. In the very small print it says once you have purchased the Videopad programme, after six months, updates are available and your current license is invalidated. It appears that you have to pay for an update before your license is validated again. I hope that someone can say this is wrong for me and my informant who has suffered with this procedure. Stay safe hapopy Easter, Roy Alexander
Albert Noble

Post by Albert Noble »

As an ex animator returning to the fold I can only endorse VideoPad
by NCH, also their WavePad. For any animator, the one thing that
VideoPad has that many other editors do not have is the ability to see the audio track,
so enabling correct sync of each frame to the audio waveform.
HELP site is very comprehensive.

VideoPad also allows one to transfer work to another computer too. (using file)
NCH have many other goodies, such as recording video off the screen.