4K images and adobe premiere pro

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Roy1

4K images and adobe premiere pro

Post by Roy1 »

Hi. Can anyone tell me if 4K video images can be edited with Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 or will the images be converted automatically to another
format. thanks for any information.
Peter Stedman

Re: 4K images and adobe premiere pro

Post by Peter Stedman »

Hi Roy,
I use Premiere CS6 and several months ago I got a Sony X3000 camera and it's capable of recording in several formats including 4K. I always understood that CS6 wasn't able to handle 4K so I recorded in HD. However, nothing ventured, nothing gained, I thought I would give 4K a try. It worked with no problems. I looked at the clip specs in CS6 and they showed up as 4K. I also added some 4K footage to a project that was HD and that worked fine.

I'm no technical chap, but I suppose a lot depends on your computer's specs. Also, I haven't tried with large files and fancy transitions etc. All I can say is, try for yourself.
Cheers. Pete
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Hi Peter. Thanks for your reply. One of my friends is sending mne some 4K clips to try out on my CS6. He also says that the K4 editing does cause a bit of a strain on Premiere pro, but he uses a lot of Fx and transitions like myself. So I'll have to see what happens. thanks again.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Hi Peter. I have received the 4K files and have placed them on the timeline of Premiere pro CS6 with no trouble at all using the 4K preset. I have also
executed some Fx on the clips with no bother. I have also compared the results with my AVCHD clips and I don't think I can see any difference in quality, even with my glasses on. In that case I wonder if its cost effective for me to purchase a 4K camcorder. Thanks for your interest.
Peter Stedman

Post by Peter Stedman »

Hi Roy,
So pleased you have managed to put some 4K clips into Premiere CS6 and have experiment with some editing. I agree that I couldn't see a great deal of difference between 4K and HD in my limited tries. (Age most likely!) However, what I did find, was that I could crop clips to a greater extent without any noticeable drop in quality.

I don't think, at the moment, it's really worthwhile splashing out on a new 4K camera. Unless money is no object when it comes to your hobby. (Big smile!)
Best of luck. Pete.