Asus monitors

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Roy1

Asus monitors

Post by Roy1 »

HI. i HAVE UP TO NOW used a Grundig TV/monitor to edit my videos and also used it to play back the finished disk for checking the results. This arrangement has worked very well. NOW, because of my eyesight is not as sharp as it was, I have changed the Grundig for a bigger screen monitor, namely an ASUS. This works ago for editing but has problems when viewing discs with my LG blu ray player. (1) The volume control of the LG doesn't work and the sound is barely audible.2, There doesn't appear to be any way of altering the aspect of the disc being played. The 4x3 DVD's will only show as a wide screen and so every thing looks fat and elongated. Can anybody shed any light on these problems?
John Roberts

Re: Asus monitors

Post by John Roberts »

Hi Roy,

Could you give more details about the way you are viewing/plugging in your editor and Blu-Ray player? Are you using separate inputs for your editing system and the player, or are they both part of the same system? Or are you unplugging the editor and plugging in the Blu-Ray when needed?

The fact that the issue is not the same for the editor and the player requires a little bit of elimination :)

Cheers - John
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Hi John. I am using seperate inputs to the monitor. A VGA input from thePC and anHDM1 input from the Blu Ray player I swich from one to the other by pressing a button on the underside of the Monitor. Actually since my posting I am making progress. There is a line of buttons under the monitor, but not having a user instructions info I have had to find what they do by experimenting. I have found that one is to display a menu whilsy there is one for scrolling up and another for scrolling down whilst another is for confirming selecting choice. Armed with this info I have managed to increase the volume. However although I have located the image display on the menu and have found aspect control which shows it is full but I can't find the different choices on offer. thanks for your interest. |BTW the asus model number is VN247. I've just thought, perhaps there should be a remote controller for the monitor. I bought it second hand and did not receive one nor user instructions. Maybe I should go back to the Grundig.
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

Hi Roy, I'm glad you're making progress! :D

I have a similar setup here, HDMI from the laptop (or whatever else I might want) and, I think, a VGA style output from the editing machine. I'm not sure VGA is the correct term - it could be DVI-D but no doubt Tim or Tom etc will be able to provide more information - but it is Full HD. I too switch between the two inputs using the buttons underneath the monitor, and have also discovered the volume and aspect ratio buttons on a previous occasion. If it makes you feel any better, I bought the monitor new and it didn't come with any instructions either :lol:

Curiously, the audio feed from my monitor is quieter than the same audio feed from the laptop. I used to run the audio output from the 3.5mm socket on the laptop with no problems, but in order to listen to audio on a Blu-Ray player or PS3, I had to rewire the 3.5mm jack to the output from the monitor instead, as those devices have no analogue audio output socket. The volume level dropped dramatically, so I now have the monitor's audio setting at 100, though it is still quieter than the same feed from the laptop. The audio output from the editing PC doesn't feed through the monitor anyway; it's direct into the studio mixing desk.

As for the aspect ratio problem, I have very little experience of this. My monitor is also set to 'full' but is greyed out so I can't alter it. Maybe it is because it detects a Full HD 1920 x 1080 signal at its input, therefore it doesn't give the option of changing it to anything else. If I play a 4:3 disc from the Blu-Ray player I have no aspect ratio problems, but this could very well be down to how the player is set up in its options, as opposed to the monitor. I ought to try playing a 4:3 disc in the player and then check the monitor to find out what aspect ratio it says it is set to.

Sorry I can't be of any more help, but I'm sure someone more technical will be able to sort this out for you :-)

Best wishes - John
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

A google search for ""asus VN247" manual" provides several sources, though those documents are not too helpful They do indicate that there should be a 4:3 option.

It is also worth checking on the Asus website under "support" for any drivers that may be needed.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Hi John. Thanks for your input. I have managed to download a user manual for The Asus VN247 and it does explain how to alter the various contents of the menus. It would appear to be a very complicated procedure, to me anyway, I will try to follow the procedure, but the trouble is that the press buttons are underneath the monitor and can't be seen, and one has to feel for them( a stupid arrangement in my opinion). Thanks Dave for your input.
Refards Roy
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Roy, I think you have hit upon two of the dilemmas of life ***: Flexibility vs complexity and function vs form.

*** I was going to say modern life, but I suspect these have been problems ever since the industrial (possibly even the agricultural) revolution where techological abilities have improved at a much faster rate than our ability to design interfaces (or controls) which are both aesthetically and functionally satisfactory.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Tim. Very true observation. You are indeed an excellent wordsmith. I have solved my problems after a lot of mistakes, mainly due to hitting the wrong button. There is no actual choice of a 4x3 selection. There is only a pan 4x3 choice( whatever that is) but it didn't give a true 4x3 image. I selected widescreen 16.9(original) to see the result and low and behold it worked. Widescreen videos now show as widescreen and 4x3 videos show as they should with no distortion. I've also increased the volume. Trouble is that if a video has been recorded very loud, by the time I manage to alter the volume a short video would have finished. Ah well I suppose one can't have everything. Thanks for your interest.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Truly bizarre, Roy, but at leat it gets you to where you need to be (and rushing to change the volume might give you exercise).
PS Thanks for the compliment - I'm know there are many that would disagree, but I'll gladly take that as my epitaph :)
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it