BluRay reader/writer.

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
TimStannard

Re: BluRay reader/writer.

Post by TimStannard »

tom hardwick wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:07 pm Even stranger as a blank BD is 25GB or 50GB as a double layer.
Good point Tom.
Just thought I'd check my own system (Win 10 but same model Pioneer drive)
If I put a blank, unformatted BD-R (write once) single layer into my system (Win 10) it shows as capacity 22.5GB, with 22.5GB free.
If I put one I've written to is show the amount used as the capacity and 0 bytes free.

If I put a used BD-RE (rewritable) single layer is shows, as I'd expect, "n" bytes free of 22.5GB.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

If it hasn't been finalized it should play on the same computer drive I'd think.
Peter Copestake

Post by Peter Copestake »

Supplier (CCL) is taking it back. Will let forum know if replacement works.
Peter Copestake
Peter Copestake

Sorry for delay getting back.
A replacement same model exhibits the same inablity to recognise a blu ray disc apparently thinking (sorry) it's a blank CD. As before it sees a DVD as it is and plays it OK.
Could the graphics card in the computer be at fault? Not up to bluray specs? Or anything else? My guy has been looking for drivers and I know not what to no avail.
Peter.
Peter Copestake
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

The fact is hows the BluRay as empty is very strange. You could try CCL or Pioneer themselves, though I wish you luck in finding anyone who will support it on XP (even though Tom was using BluRay on XP)
Tim
Peter Copestake

Thank all for help. I usually leave all the tech stuff to my helper but had a go at Device Manager today and found that while it lists the blu ray device it calls it a CD-Rom or something. More importantly when I went through to problems and put in 'Blu Ray' nothing comes up at all! It only offers 'CDs wont play' or 'DVDs wont play' as possible problems
So, in practice, it can make a blu ray disc and Nero (that burnt it) will play it if 'asked' to do so but Nero ShowTime doesn't come up automatically as it does when I put in a DVD, but commercial BR discs and ones burnt on other computers don't play using Nero and as mentioned before on the properties they don't register.

I don't think there is anything else we can try, is there?

Peter.
Peter Copestake
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Peter Copestake wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:31 pm had a go at Device Manager today and found that while it lists the blu ray device it calls it a CD-Rom or something.
I appreciate this isn't any help, but I don't think I've ever seen a Windows PC list an optical drive as anything other than CD and/or CD/DVD drive. Myown (working) BD rewriter is listed in Device Manager (Windows 10 ver 1809) as "DVD/CD-ROM drive". So I woudn't read anything into that.

Sorry we failed to fix it :(
Tim
Peter Copestake

I expected computers to be logical! Thanks for explanation, Tim
Peter Copestake