Wireless microphone system info

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Chas Hockin

Wireless microphone system info

Post by Chas Hockin »

Newbie here, looking for advice. I would like to purchase a wireless lapel microphone system to use with my DSLR. I would like to have two transmitters feeding into one receiver. The systems I have seen (eg by Boya and Saramonic) both transmit on a frequency that requires a licence. Does anyone know of a system I’ve described that works in the “free” ranges? Thanks.
Chas Hockin

Re: Wireless microphone system info

Post by Chas Hockin »

A friend of mine has found an answer. https://cvp.com/product/deity-connect-w ... mic-system But at a cost. Over £600. <cough>. I think I might just have two small field recorders.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

That system, Chris, works on the 2.4GHz band - one of the two ranges that WiFi uses. Might not be a problem but there are several stories af where these have worked fine in reherasals (at performances or conferences) but when an audience or delegates arrive with all their mobile phones connecting to the WiFi, thing going south.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
ned c

Post by ned c »

A possible solution, although not a radio system, is to have the talent have a Zoom H1n or similar recorder in a pocket with a Lavalier mic, this can be multiplied by as many recorders/mics you have. This overcomes any problems of interference although it does mean synching in post production. A slate or hand clap is helpful.

ned c
Chas Hockin

Post by Chas Hockin »

Hi Ned, that's what I meant by having two field recorders in my second post. Tried it out recently, and found that recording got switched off somehow prior to filming. The Deity system may have monitoring facility. I am thinking about two Tascams DR22WLs as they can be remotely monitored by wifi - and adjusted, I think. Then I only need to take along two smartphones....
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

This looks really interesting.

https://youtu.be/fHcFvbq6MrM

At last, and why has it taken so long to update this idea? I've had my Samson (now Zoom) AL1 radio mic for years, and this Røde system seems to follow exactly the same design philosophy.
The AL1 transmitter and receiver are tiny and both run off a single AAA cell each. The transmitter has a built-in mic as well as a mic socket, just like this Røde.