Translation software

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Jill Lampert

Translation software

Post by Jill Lampert »

I have a mass of footage in French. Unfortunately I don't speak French though I understand a bit. Ideally I'd like to find translation software which would translate clips so that I understand properly what's being said, to help me with a rough edit. NB I know that any such software wouldn't be very accurate, but I'm hoping it would be good enough just to help me at the early stages.
Can anyone recommend any suitable software?
TimStannard

Re: Translation software

Post by TimStannard »

My approach to this would be to use some speech to text software in French then simply paste the text into Google translate. Windows 10 has speech to text built in, but I haven’t been able to discover whether you can feed it an audio file - all the tutorials I could find are for microphone input. Windows allow you to install several language packs and I guess you’d set Windows to French and use speech to text software to convert the files to text. Once you have the file in text you’d switch back to English for the rest of the process.

Just found this which apparently works with French: https://www.freemake.com/blog/how-to-tu ... voicebase/
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

While google translate covers an amazing number of languages, it is much better at formal business and legal language than informal language. (It draws heavily on the paperwork of the EU, where teams of human translators are required to make sure that every document means the same thing in all EU tongues.)

For more human translation I like www.deepl.com though it only handles English/French/German/Spanish/Italian/Dutch/Polish at present. It helps if you know a little of the language - memories of a distant school class!
Jill Lampert

Post by Jill Lampert »

Thanks, Tim and Dave. I'll give it a go!