Alter camera settings or modify in post

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Peter Copestake

Alter camera settings or modify in post

Post by Peter Copestake »

Am I right in thinking that, where appropriate, it is better to alter camera settings than adjust, for example, contrast, saturation and detail in post-production?
I am thinking of when filming countryside in flat, non-conrasty light conditons.
I have the option of doing this on the Sony Z5 that is my prime camera and holding them in one of the 'Picture Profile' settings.
Peter Copestake
tom hardwick

Re: Alter camera settings or modify in post

Post by tom hardwick »

I always go for getting the video and audio settings right at the time of shooting, leaving post production as a 'correction' tool. This gives me the very best quality footage my cameras can deliver.

But these days colourists like to work with flat, bland footage, enabling them to offer the director various 'looks' to suit the mood of the scene and to match adjacent scenes that may well have been shot miles and months apart.
Peter Copestake

Re: Alter camera settings or modify in post

Post by Peter Copestake »

Thanks, Tom, as always. I seem to think that with my lower quality footage, altering things with filters in post production reduces it further in some respects while maybe giving a more pleasing result overall. Any way, I'll try some camera changes on a trial basis, not wait for the day it matters.
Peter Copestake