Converting 30 FPS to 25

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
tom hardwick

Converting 30 FPS to 25

Post by tom hardwick »

Hi team.
My sweet little SJ5k action cam records full HD at 30 (probably 29.97) fps. So far so good, and this plays back in camera through my TV or my phone or laptop just fine.

But my Edius 6.5 editing program doesn't have a 30 fps editing preset, all the options are 25 fps. The problem with this is that any editing I do and subsequent output to USB stick or disc is done at 25 fps, and the interpolation that loses the excess 5 fps causes judder on screen.

Is there a way around this? A program I could use that would do the downconversion from 30 to 25 smoothly before I start the edit? Or any other ideas?
tom hardwick

Re: Converting 30 FPS to 25

Post by tom hardwick »

Just to say for those that aren't followers, but the IAC NLE email round robin has continued this thread in a very interesting way. Worth joining if you haven't.
Richard Scarsbrook

Post by Richard Scarsbrook »

Handbrake https://handbrake.fr/ is a free transcoding tool which will convert frame rates, and most other media properties. I've used it for converting 30fps video from my phone to 25fps. The interface is a bit techy, but the documentation is good.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Thanks Richard. The same link was posted in the NLE thread. But Premiere Elements 15 has been proved to handle the 29.97 fps footage beautifully, whereas my far more expensive (and a good deal older) Edius 6.5 made a botch of it. As they say, 'edit anything', but not without noticeable artifacts.