Canon HV30 out putting NTSC

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Peter Copestake

Canon HV30 out putting NTSC

Post by Peter Copestake »

Previous HD footage on this camcorder has been incorporated in a film without problems.
Now I could not play the tape into the computer via the firewire lead (I cannot edit HD so it is downgraded using firewire but is very good) but the tape played oK from our Sony Z5 and all went well editing on our vintage Premiere 6.5 running on Windows XP (yes I know, but why change when it works?!) until exporting to make a DVD when the computer asked if I wanted to proceed as much of the < 3minute project was NTSC. Since it couldn't be, could it, I said yes and proceeded.
The DVD shows artefacts on the Canon footage presumably due to conversion of 'NTSC' to PAL.
Where do I look for a solution, please?
Peter Copestake
tom hardwick

Re: Canon HV30 out putting NTSC

Post by tom hardwick »

A check of all the settings is in order Peter. The HV30 is shooting HDV (1440 x 1080) and should be at 25fps. It's being downconverted in camera to SD (720 x 576) in the Z5 and FireWire takes it into your PC. Check that the Z5 settings are correct.

Your Premiere 6.5 project settings should match this. It should be 720 x 576, PAL, 16:9.
Peter Copestake

Thank you once again Tom for your advice. I have looked into settings and found one wrong'un. Must have clicked on the wrong button afte working on a 4:3 project from years back but there is something weird going on. I'll post news when I've done more experiments but for now just to say it's Nero which came up with the question - do you want to continue? and to play off the Canon it has to be set to HDV/DV to play HDV so I'm not sure the camera does any conversion. Set to DV it doesn't work even onto its own screen and, of course the footage was output to the computer from the Sony, not the Canon anyway and it looks fine on the timeline.
Peter Copestake
Peter Copestake

First - apologies for red herrings. It was all my fault.
1. I had miss-set Premiere to NTSC in error
2. It was Nero that gave the message that the majority of the footage was NTSC, and it still says this since I corrected the Prmeire settings and re-rendered and made a satisfactory DVD. so Nero has probably got a bug in from somewhere.
3. I'd misread the Nero message - it didn't say did I want to continue but did I want to change all project to NTSC so 'YES' was definitely the wrong answer though it's amazing that most of the film was OK. I think the shutter or something may be different on the Canon that puts stripes on some moving parts.
4. Before someone points out the error I have realised that it's probably switching the output setting of the Canon to HDV/HD as my last message that sets the camera to convert it as Tom said.
I have another query for another day!
Peter Copestake