hood for LCD screen

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Peter Copestake

hood for LCD screen

Post by Peter Copestake »

Summer's here and with it the problem of seeing the screen on our Sony Z5 and Panny still camera.
Anyone found a supplier of a range of sizes from which to choose? I thiught I'd make myself one one day but DIY seems to take forever these days!
Peter Copestake
TimStannard

Re: hood for LCD screen

Post by TimStannard »

I use a brand called Hoodman. The HD350 fits my Canon xf100. There’s a bigger HD450 Simple & basic but effective. Other sizes are available.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Peter Copestake

Thanks, Tim. Looks OK. Think I'll purchase one.
Peter Copestake
Peter Copestake

I bodged up a balck paper hood and found it didn't really do the job. In the end I went for a proper monitor, 7" from Liliput. When set up correctly from a weird out-of-the-box setting that was monochrome orange it looks as if I'll be more than satisfied. It gives a brilliant picture.
Peter Copestake
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Let us know how it goes. I'm looking at the Liliput A7s (is that what you have?) and the Andycine 6 as possible add-ons to my kit.
Tim
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

I reviewed the 5'' Lilliput LCD monitor back in the August 2012 issue of FVM. I use it to this day, and it's proved its reliability over the last 6 years. The 800 x 480 resolution can seem a bit crude these days, but at least the low pixel count allows the screen to go very bright, so useful in daylight.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

I remember it Tom. Back then I thought - "I must get one of those". As you can see I'm still thinking ... :)
Tim
Peter Copestake

What do I do to insert a picture,? click on the icon above this panel, then what?
Peter Copestake
Peter Copestake

Sorry to be so long getting back with this. I have a photo but I cannot follow the instructions for putting it on.
It shows the monitor fixed to the back shoe of our Sony Z5 the mic taking up the front one. Also the cam's own monitor. Photo taken from the position I would be standing holding the pan/tilt arm of the cam mounted on a tripod or my "Dolly Walker" shown in FVM a year or so ago. The monitor can be seen clearly showing the view and, importantly, I can see it with distance specs on. The sun was behind me and the reflection of my white hair can easily be seen in the monitor window only partly obscuring the image. My own shadow might avoid this in practice. Definitely not non-reflective though compared with Tom's 5" reviewed 2012.
Be aware that the monitor may be delivered with a test display (mine was a monochrome orange shade of the view) on first switching on. Read the instructions to get the normal view. Also it will come with a full size-mini HDMI cable. The Z5 uses a full size HDMI, and Liliput will not provide a full-full cable. Also, although Liliput ays on its website that all monitors can be supplied with battery plates that allow a camcorder battery to be attached and there are references to such in the instructions (which you may need a magnifying glass to read - yes seriously) when I asked for the Sony battery plate to be included I was rather snootily told they wouldn't as it has its own battery included (true, but another might be a useful back-up). The battery lasts a good two hours.
The knurled knob which tightens the mount onto the camera shoe could be larger - it barely exceeds the size of the adjacent component so it's not easy to get it tight.
Summary - I would recommend the monitor but found Liliput an awkward firm to deal with.
If Tom or Dave reads this I could email them the photo direct and they could, perhaps, put it on the forum for me.
Peter Copestake
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Thanks for the info Peter. Nothing beats first-hand, real user experience. Your difficulty in dealing with Liliput comes as some surprise as they were very helpful when I asked a couple of technical questions: maybe that's the difference between pre- and post- sales. The battery plate issue could be quite significant for some users. Many people have plenty Sony NP batterries and having to buy several of a different "standard" in order to get through a day's shoot could be a deal breaker as it would add considerably to the cost.
Tim
Peter Stedman

Post by Peter Stedman »

Hi Peter,
No one seems to have answered your query about posting a photograph here. So I have tried this experiment.

Took photo, reduced size, put it into Google Drive. Copied the link that is here and hopefully, when you click this link you will see the shot. Or copy/paste the link into your browser. (??????) We will have to see if it works. Otherwise :oops: :oops: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WPM0d ... 5rzC6KU_yI

Pete
Peter Copestake

Well, that does work for you, Peter, but I got stuck with it when I tried last night. I didn't reduce size though. Give it more time in daytime,perhaps.
Perhaps description is enough. How do you find the monitor?
Peter Copestake
Peter Stedman

Post by Peter Stedman »

Hi Peter. Glad you was able to view the picture. Now I will have a go with a short bit of video. (Got to keep the mind occupied!) I have two things to admit. [1] I am the most non-tech person possible and [2] I haven’t really followed the thread - just scanned through occasionally. Mainly due to item [1] as it seemed far above me!!

Reducing the picture size!!! I’m aware that the file produced by my very old SLR give a picture in my editing programme of about 36 inches wide. (My lack of tech knowledge means I don’t really understand pixels etc. and inches is something I can get my brain around) I do know that is a very large file to deal with so to use I always reduce somewhat. So the picture was cropped to approx a square then picture size reduced to about 6 inches square. It worked, so that’s about all I understand.

The monitor! I can’t seem to find a model number on it. I have had it many years to replace a very old earlier one. I connect it to either of my video cams through the HDMI sockets and it is still used regularly in my ‘studio’ (front room) where I do a lot of recording myself. The battery lasts several hours and is recharged from mains and can be used whilst from the mains. I am including a shot of the specifications at the end of the video for your interest. As you will see, it’s certainly not a 4K model.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1R3hSp ... URwcanb49t

Hope all this works and is of interest and helps.
Pete
Peter Copestake

Very substantial bits and pieces! I haven't mentioned the hood on the current version. It is attached by velcro all round and is soft like your extra one.
I'll try to get a grandson to talk me through all this use of the forum.
Peter Copestake