vimeo

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Roy1

vimeo

Post by Roy1 »

Hi. Can anyone tell me how to delete my video on Vimeo. I must of made a mistake in the GB's allowed on the basic membership. My video is only uploaded to half of it's length so it's useless to shop. I've tried the Vimeo helpline and can't find anyway of asking the particular question. I will be grateful if someone can tell me how to delete it. Thanks.
TimStannard

Re: vimeo

Post by TimStannard »

Go to your videos page/Vimeo home page.
On the video you want to delete, click the settings (cog) icon in the top left of the video thumbnail.
On the left hand pane, click on Video File
"Delete" should be one of the options.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

TIM. Thanks for the info. However when I found the delete option it asked for My Vimeo password and after entering the password the delete panel was still greyed out and nothing happened. Perhaps I put in the wrong password, How can I find the correct password? Thanks
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Roy,
This appears to be your normal Vimeo password. If you cannot remember it, but are logged into your account, presumably you're computer has remembered it.
Click on the blue smiley face at the top right then on Settings
Under "account", click on "Password"
Under "Rest your password" there is an option "Forgot your password?"
Click on this and you will be emailed a link to reset your password.
Tim
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

TIM, Regretably I have managed to get a new password for vimeo and have tried to delete the video. No success. I've used the new password as indicated by VIMEO and again after clicking the delete button nothing happens. I'll just forget it and try to leave VIMEO. Thanks for your help.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Roy,

Don't give up! I've just tried this myself and managed to delete a video without issue. If you are amenable, I'm happy to have a "teamviewer" session with you (where I can take remote control of your PC while you watch). Teamviwer is a free program (for personal use) which you can download from teamviewer.com

PM me if you're interested.

Tim
Tim
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

TIM. Thanks for your offer but I have closed my account with Vimeo as it seemed that was the only way I could delete the Video. I'll just stick to YouTube which I have had 226,000 viewers up to now without having to pay anything. Thanks again for all your help.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Roy, I can't argue with your use of YouTube. Indeed it is my "vehicle" of choice. People search for stuff on YouTube whereas they need to know where to go on Vimeo. Vimeo has its advantages: Better quality supposedly being a major one (although YouTube is pretty good nowadays), but I tend to use it when I want to password protect, rather than simply post a video as "unlisted".
i'm really unsure, but i can't help feeling there's a certain "snobbishness" to posting exclusively on Vimeo.
If you want your videos to be seen (although you will have a much less discerning audience), YouTube is the way to go.
Tim
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

I'm one of the 'snobs' I'm ashamed to say! I much prefer Vimeo as a platform for proper films and mostly the audience are like minded. You Tube, I acknowledge, has a huge following and the content is far more diverse. The problem with You Tube though is that individual films are hard to locate. I have great difficulty with my own material, some of which I uploaded years ago.

I also have a dedicated site now as well where I can group and list my own films as I want and they are all easily accessible to anyone logging on. Of course I am not going to get the random searcher that you would get on You Tube, but then I'm not that fussed about that.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

It's interesting, Michael, you say it's easier to find films on Vimeo. I've always found precisely tho opposite.

You've seen two of my films "Greece is the Word" and "To Eleanor".
Search "Tim Stannard Greece" on YouTube and "Tim Stannard Eleanor" (without the quotes) on Vimeo and note the differences.
Indeed, if you search "To Eleanor Tim Stannard" (without the quotes) on Vimeo it comes back with no results!

There is a caveat that your results my differ significantly from mine and, of course, results are likely to be skewed by popularity of films, but rarely do I find a film I'm looking for on Vimeo unless I know the makers channel, whereas I can nearly always ind the film I'm looking for on YouTube.

Incidentally I typed "Michael Slowe Zoo" into YouTube and indeed the result was quite a way down the list, bizarrely under "results for similar searches". However, "Still Life" another film of yours I recognised was listed 2nd and from there I clicked on your name which took me to all your films.

This isn't about random searchers, this is about someone whose seen your film or has heard about it and wants to see it again/show it to others.

Having said that, it appears to me that armed with the maker's name and part of the film title a simple Google search does better than either!
Tim
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

My word Tim, you are a beaver! Searches are always erratic and I find, never the same twice. That's why I've put nearly all my films on my own site, (note the self publicity everyone!) It is: http://www.michaelslowefilms.com and I can be certain that if someone wants to see a film of mine they will find it.
I'm just researching and starting a possible documentary and it has been useful for the individuals involved to have a look at some of my films to get a flavour of what I might be doing.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

And because you have your own site, I never have any trouble finding any of your films, Michael!

Curated sites are great if one knows the name of the maker, precice title of the film and, ideally, where it was seen.

One of my favourites is (obviously) the BIAFF site itself as is one is assured of a certain level of quality as defined by the star rating system yet can view films without having any of the facts I've mentioned above. Of course the BIAFF site is simply a collection of links, so it doesn't matter if the film itself is hosted on YouTube, vimeo, Michael's website or a NAS in my shed.
Tim
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

NAS in Tim's shed - WOW!
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Michael Slowe wrote:NAS in Tim's shed - WOW!
For any potential burglars here - this was a hypothetical NAS drive. Although ... it has some merit.
Tim