super 8 bauer projector repairs

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Roy1

super 8 bauer projector repairs

Post by Roy1 »

Hi. Does anyone know of anybody who can repair a Bauer T510 Stereo super 8 film projector. Thanks for any info.
tom hardwick

Re: super 8 bauer projector repairs

Post by tom hardwick »

Any clues as to what the fault is with your projector? If it's a matter of perished drive belts, then eBay is an excellent place to search. Same with lamps etc. You may even find a suitable projector for sale that will do all you want and save you the hassle of getting yours repaired, assuming you have catastrophic motor or PCB failure that is.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Hi Tom. it's either the claw or the gate assembly as the trouble started with the film just sliding through the gate with the sprocket holes being engaged. But now it simply won't thread at all and the leader just gets ripped up. I have three other projectors two of which suffer the same problem and they are Eumigs. I also have an Elmo GS1200 stereo and although the film projects ok the amplifier has packed up. I haven't used them for years but I have decided to transfer my early Super 8 films onto the PC for further editing and retitling before making a DVD video.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

I too have a 34 year old GS 1200 which works well I'm pleased to say. My film transfers are done using a Schneider f/1.1 lens rather than the supplied Elmo f/1.0 zoom. What's good is that the 4 motor GS only relies on one simple drive belt, and they're easy to get hold of.

Is there no signal from your line out sockets either? The stereo amplifier is a self contained module inside the GS's case, so it might be possible to bypass this and take the signal from the heads out to another pre-amp. This assumes the magnetic head is still functional. Certainly good enough for film transfers.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

I'll have to check the sound again on the Elmo. It started with the amp making crackling noises before going dead, I suspected it might be a dry joint. But I'm to old to start messing on. The last transfer I did with a Eumig which I could speed control to match the Cam and therefore no Flicker and had good results. I stop flicker on fixed speed projectors by using a very old VARIAC voltage regulator to match the speed of the Proj to that of the Camcorder.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Another beauty of the GS1200 Roy is the fine speed control. You can very accurately set it to an electronically controlled 16⅔ FPS to completely eliminate flicker, and the footage can then be speeded up by 8% on the timeline. Sorted.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Thanks for that info Tom. I never knew that as I had no need to use speed control in those days. Actually I only used the Elmo to screen Public Shows at a local cinema for the Newcastle ACA. It filled a 12ft screen with no problem. I have borrowed a Bauer T502 to do some transfers from Super 8 to Digital. Unfortunately I have just discovered that my new (second hand) cam will not record at 4x3 aspect and so the results lost most of the super 8 image. I have to transfer using a Standard Def 4x3 Panasonic GS300. Results perfect but now I find that I can't transfer to the PC as when all my PC,s were changed there was no firewire card. Then Cam has a DV output socket which I used before but the plug at the other end is one I don't recognize so I don't know where it fits on the PC. Hopefully the friend who built the Pc's will sort it out.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

You don't say what your new (secondhand) camcorder is, but your aspect ratio problem is easily resolved, and I do it this way all the time. Reshoot the 4:3 image in the camcorder's 16:9 mode so that you end up with black bars left and right of the uncropped 4:3 image. Mask these in post to make them completely black, and make a perfectly normal 16:9 DVD.

The beauty of this is that people who play your DVD can't stretch the image to fill their TV's screen, and in so doing, distorting all your film footage.

Best these days to make an mp4 file though, and keep hi def versions versions of your transfers. On a modern upscaling TV the difference is most noticeable.

Your PC man should be able to add a firewire card quite easily, and there are threads on this forum about it.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

My HD camcorder that won't shoot in 4x3 is Panasonic HC-X920