Hi8 players

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Peter Copestake

Hi8 players

Post by Peter Copestake »

I have rediscoverd how much better original Hi8 quality was than the edited reproductions through three generations were and have copied some Hi8 to digital via s-video connection but my Hi8 deck is failing. Has anyone a deck or camera which they no longer require that can still play tapes?
Please phone 01282 864058
Peter Copestake
tom hardwick

Re: Hi8 players

Post by tom hardwick »

I use my Hi8 Sony camcorder to replay all my 8mm and Hi8 tapes. Might you have one in a cupboard somewhere?
Peter Copestake

Thanks for reply, Tom. No they both bit the dust. I have had the god fortune to have a pro Hi8 double deck, I forget its number at the moment. The play deck is worn out and the record one comes and goes. Today it has played a tape that wouldn't play yesterday and only half played the day before. Perhaps it's coming back to life? My tech. colleague is looking out for the appropriate replacement for the play side and I may be OK but thought it was time for backup. I'm quite pleased how well the tapes have lasted.
Peter Copestake
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

It might be worth keeping an eye open on eBay or Pre-loved or Shpock, as people do try to 'get rid of' old analogue tape camcorders they find in a drawer. Generally camcorders weren't used much so sellers will have to be pumped for confirmation that's it's a Hi8 version, but prices are so low that it's hardly ever worth getting a failed one repaired.
Peter Copestake

Thanks, Tom, didn't know of the last two!
Peter.
Peter Copestake