IMGburn unexpected result

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Roy1

IMGburn unexpected result

Post by Roy1 »

Hi. I wonder if someone can explain this happy result. Recently I had a large capacity Hard drive fail and I lost a lot of saved videos. I have tried using IMGburn to create ISO's from a discs. It works great and quick however I have found that an original Blu-ray disc full of effects and 30 mins in length is transferred to a DVD disc and when this disc is played back it is shown as a Blu-ray disc and doesn't play back on a standard DVD only player. Thanks for any info.
John Roberts

Re: IMGburn unexpected result

Post by John Roberts »

Hi Roy,

I'm not entirely sure what it is you are doing here? As far as I am aware the image files of BD discs and DVDs are completely different, which might explain why a standard DVD player will not recognise the disc.

I suspect you might have burnt your DVD to BD5 'standard', which is supposed to allow high definition content to be burnt to a standard DVD using BD CODECs and structure, and might be why your DVD is being 'seen' as a Blu-Ray disc. However, be aware that the BD5 and BD9 (the dual layer version) are not official formats (BD9 was removed from the official format list years ago and BD5 was never on it in the first place) so therefore playback of discs burnt in this way cannot be guaranteed on any player.

Hope this helps?
Roy1

Re: IMGburn unexpected result

Post by Roy1 »

Hi John. Thanks for your thoughts about this. I didn't make any commands to the IMGburn process, I simply clicked on to start the process and let it get on with it. All my Blu-ray discs have when transferred as BD ISO's and they have been burnt onto standard DVD discs as HD videos and the LG player has recognized them as Blu-ray discs. I confess that I didn't know that DVD discs could handle all the info contained on a HD offering. Perhaps IMGBURN just copied the Blu-ray disc to make the ISO and so made it as a HD ISO on my hard drive. Why subsequently the HD iso was recorded on a standard DVD I can't guess.