Adobe CS5 speed

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Roy1

Adobe CS5 speed

Post by Roy1 »

Can anyone explain the following. I use Windows 7 and Adobe CS5 on a PC which also uses the internet. My minor problem is that when I first log onto Adobe CS5 it takes ages to open, sometimes I think it's not going to open at all. After I close down Adobe cs5 and then log on again while the PC has been left on, Adobe CS5 opens very quickly indeed. It doesn't bother me but I would like to know the reason for this. The PC is quite powerful and edits AVCHD clips quite easily.
John Roberts

Re: Adobe CS5 speed

Post by John Roberts »

Hi Roy,

I'm not an Adobe user and I'm unfamiliar with CS5, but I assume by 'log on' you mean 'launch the application' as opposed to logging on to the internet to allow use of the program from their Creative Cloud subscription service?

I have a similar experience with Sony Movie Studio 12, and I consider it completely normal and not a fault. Most programs of any complexity require a large amount of initialisation by reading and writing user and program data to and from different places on the hard drive and often into RAM memory. This is to load drivers, set up user interfaces, load plug-ins, scripts, initialise video and audio and a whole host of other highly complex operations and 99% of this is done only when the computer operator asks the program to run - otherwise the computer would be unusable if every program that might possibly be used pre-empted that use by clogging up the hard drive and filling up RAM just in case. This might explain why subsequent launches of the program are faster; because a lot of the initialisation data has already been, er, initialised.

As a test, I have just launched MS12 on my rather low powered laptop, and it took around 25 seconds to load. After I closed the program, a re-launch was achieved in less than 5 seconds. On my editing PC this happens around twice as fast, around 10-15 seconds for the initial launch and about 2-3 seconds for a re-launch.

Hope this helps :)
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Thanks John for your explanation. I only intend to use the CS5 editing programme as a standby. I am now using Adobe CS6 on another PC which I use for editing only and is not connected to the internet. This PC has the same specifications as the other one which has the CS5 and internet connection. I should mention that the CS5 takes about 90 seconds to open when first used. The CS6 on the editing only PC takes about 1 second to open when first used.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Another thing to check for is whether a project is being loaded by default when you launch the program. Like John, I use Vegas and by default the last loaded project loads when the program launches. As that project grows the time to launch becomes greater. I realised that I frequently wanted to fire up Vegas not to work on my current epic, but to do a quick edit or, more often, check something for someone or provide some other sort of support so I disabled this function, such that Vegas loads without a project. Dunno if CS5 is the same, but possibly worth a look.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Do tell how, Tim!
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Dave Watterson wrote:Do tell how, Tim!
In Vegas:
Options | Preferences
"General" Tab and the top option should be "Automatically open last project on startup"

In CS5/6 or any other NLE - I don't have a clue :shock:
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Thanks ... as always it is obvious when you know how! We are lucky to have people like you, John and others who share their hard-won knowledge.