Video lighting Suppliers

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
TimStannard

Video lighting Suppliers

Post by TimStannard »

Can anyone recommend any suppliers of continuous lighting, suitable for video, either a physical presence or website?
I'm looking to buy a couple of lights suitable to light a green screen and I'm reluctant to buy the numerous sets on ebay which all appear to be the same cheap make & re-badged. They may, of course, be fine, but I'd like a recommendation.

I previously used units with 7 x 55w CFL bulbs and a large octagonal softbox, which were OK, but a bit too bulky for my living room (I cannot use them again as they have been stolen from the person who owned them).

Ideally I'd like 4' KinoFlos but at around £1500 each that's clearly not going to happen.

LED Panels of a suitable size also seem to come in at around £1000 each.

Not so sure about using halogen and softboxes - possibility?

Note: I'm only really after lighting the screen so it doesn't matter if the colour is rubbish (ie uneven across the spectrum) so long as it is consistent. To that end, it has been suggested that cheap Chinese KinoFlo knock-offs would do the trick (however I don't know what i'm looking for). (Having said that, if by paying a bit more, I can get something suitable for other uses, that's always an asset.) It's also been suggested that ordinary 4' flourescent tubes, cable tied to a stand would do the job - but then I'd have to come up with something to stop spillage etc and it all gets rather complicated in the small space available.

Sorry, I've just turned a simple question into a bunch of thoughts. All I really want is a trustworthy supplier with whom I can discuss my requirements. (I used to use Ianiro, but they seem to have gone under)
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
John Roberts

Re: Video lighting Suppliers

Post by John Roberts »

Sorry Tim, I can't help you with a supplier as I've never had cause to chat to any.

My somewhat limited experience of decent green screen work was during the shooting of the two Carnival of Thieves music videos, and they were set up by the pro photographer in the band. The green screen was lit by a pair of Ianiro Redheads that had diffusing gel draped over them. A third Redhead, or one of my smaller CFL softboxes, and used as a fill light with the occasional addition of a reflector.

This set up produced very few issues with chromakey and was relatively simple to set up. I'm not sure running a pair of Redheads in your living room would be what you're intending, but you'll certainly need to turn the central heating down. Of course, we used genuine Ianiro fittings for the videos, but I have bought a set of 3 Chinese clones from eBay for just over £100 for my own use (and which I used at BIAFF 2016 for lighting the ballroom ceiling) and they seemed to be quite serviceable, if nowhere near the build quality of the originals.

There are a few 'behind the scenes' photos on my Dizdoz Purple page on Facebook, if you want to have a look :)

Hope this helps!
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Funnily enough I did use a pair of Ianiro red-heads (actually rated a bit lower - 1 at 650W and one at 300W) - but for lighting the subject - rather than the backdrop. (And yes, it did get pretty toasty). I have access to another pair that I bought for a school, together with softboxes - but they've lost the softboxes. I'm surprised just diffusing gel would be enough to get an even spread - but then again you were probably able to stand them a lot further away from the screen than I am able to get.
(Had a look on the DPP page, but only one smoke filled green screen photo as far as I could see).
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

Hi Tim, yes you're probably right about the placement of the lights because we had quite a bit of room to spread into. I've just had a look on the DPP FB page and the photos are there, probably a bit further down the page somewhere. Or, if you click on 'Photos' then where the albums are listed at the top click on 'See All' on the right hand side, that will show you all the albums. There are some behind the scenes green screen set up shots in the 'Acid Rain' album and one in the 'The Girl on the Train' album.

Sorry I can't be of more help :)