DVD storage

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Peter Copestake

DVD storage

Post by Peter Copestake »

Are DVD folders a reliable way of storing DVDs? See https://www.dvdbinders.co.uk
Please don't tell me to put the films on another medium!
Peter Copestake
Ken Baxter

Re: DVD storage

Post by Ken Baxter »

Hi Peter, I use clear CD Jewel Cases (Slimline) (Maplin Code GH57M) These are cheap as chips (£4.99 for ten) and two of these cases will fit into a standard jewel case storage unit slot. Far better than the plastic envelope route, and an adhesive label on the outside can indicate everything that's inside. The inside of the case lid can accommodate a complete menu or whatever detailed description is needed and can be viewed from the outside. I have found this system to be as good as it gets.
Peter Copestake

Post by Peter Copestake »

Thanks, Ken, will consider these; nice and rigid, too.
Peter.
Peter Copestake
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

I used to use these transparent multicoloured slimline CD jewel cases and I think you can find them cheaper than Maplins (as you can with most things Maplins sell!)

A quick search on Amazon found a pack of 25 for £9.99, although I paid £4.99 for packs of 25 from my local Tesco when they were clearing them from the shelves. If you are happy with the more standard look of a black case/clear door then Amazon have a pack of 25 for £6.56, again these are slimline cases. Euroffice also sell a pack of 100 transparent coloured slimline cases for a miserly £20.87 + £4.95 postage, or if you spend more than £25 (by buying 2 packs of 100 for example) you'll qualify for free delivery!

http://www.euroffice.co.uk/product/cd-c ... 100/AAV932

I would comment that these cases are quite brittle being hard, inflexible plastic, so they would be useful for archiving on a shelf and for occasional use but not really sturdy enough for everyday use.

Hope this helps :)
Ken Baxter

Post by Ken Baxter »

Thanks for the pricing update, John. I bought a couple of hundred of these cases several years back and will run out in a few months time, so will now investigate your suggested sources. I agree they are somewhat brittle, but I've yet to break one (apart from one I trod on!)
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

And of course there's eBay. The site teems with disc cases and competition ensures the very best prices. The fragility of the slimline cases means that a few at the outer edges get damaged, but suppliers have always been happy to replace however many I say have been broken.