Adobe Premiee glitch

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Ken Baxter

Adobe Premiee glitch

Post by Ken Baxter »

For a number of years now, I have used (don’t laugh!) an ancient Adobe Premiere 6.0 editing program. Although this is obsolete, I’m much too long in the tooth and very reluctant to take on the learning curve of a new up to date equivalent with all it’s bells and whistles, most of which I won’t need anyway. Up to now, Premiere 6 has served me well. However, of late, a glitch has arisen which I cannot understand or eliminate.
When a clip is captured and placed on the timeline, everything is fine except that a “jerkiness” appears which gives the appearance of the insertion of occasional duplicate frames. Close analysis of the timeline shows that these “jerks” occur throughout the clip (usually approximately on an 18 to 20 frame cycle, but can be at any distribution frequency) but of course are most noticeable if a scene contains rapid motion (or a fast pan).
They can be eliminated by painstakingly razoring the clip at these points, but as the clip now consists of dozens of sub-clips, it is then impossible to edit/move the clip further. I operate in Windows 7 which handles perfectly well all other features of Premiere 6 that I need.
I was advised that use of a time base corrector would solve this problem, but trials have shown otherwise.
Can anyone explain this phenomenon and suggest a ‘cure’ using idiot-proof non-jargonese?. Or indeed provide “words and music” that I can pass on to a computer-literate friend for him to use to correct the situation for me?
Any help given would be most gratefully accepted as, for the reasons given above (and many others besides) I really would like to continue to use Premiere 6.0 if at all possible.

PS. My PC (originally from DVC)) was reconfigured (and updated) from XP to Win 7 in 2014. The problem did not exist under XP, and was not immediately apparent when Win 7 was installed; nevertheless could the problem be due to some incompatibility with Win 7?

Ken Baxter
Peter Copestake

Re: Adobe Premiee glitch

Post by Peter Copestake »

My input is worth very little but as a user of Prem.6.5 for the same reasons as yours, and having XP as the OS, but having the good fortune to have an experienced friend who sorts my problems I would enquire if it would be sensible to uninstall and reinstall Prem 6. When Nero played up (would only make DVDs without a menu) this is what we did and solved the problem.
Peter Copestake
Ken Baxter

Post by Ken Baxter »

Thanks Peter. Uninstal/reinstall was tried a while ago, but to no effect. However, it would be worth trying again, so I’ll do this over the weekend. Your comment re XP has re-kindled my (very vague) suspicion that Win 7 has something to do with this problem; I will research this line of enquiry. Once again thanks for your interest.
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

Hi Ken - have you adjusted the 'compatibility mode' of your program to that of Windows XP? I'm fairly certain a lot of my 'older' programs have been adjusted to XP Service Pack 2. If you're not sure how to do this in Win7, right-click on the icon that opens Premiere 6, click Properties, then select the 'Compatibility' tab. There you should find a tick box that says 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:' and tick this, then select from the drop down menu an earlier version of Windows than Win7. Keep going backwards until you find the setting that (hopefully) cures the issue.

Alternatively, there is on my Win7, a 'Troubleshoot compatibility' option when right-clicking the program's icon. As far as I recall, this automatically detects issues between the program and the current operating system and adjusts accordingly. I have only used this once or twice but it usually seems to be 'one operating system' adrift and I end up manually setting the compatibility under the compatibility tab as in the last paragraph.

However, the compatibility tab is usually the first adjustment I make after a freshly installed older program fails to run as expected, so it might not explain why your Premiere 6 did seem to work OK on Win7 before. The only thing I can think of is that a recent update to Win7 might have made some alterations somewhere in the operating system, which sometimes causes major issues to old programs as Microsoft doesn't really consider their continued use. Try the compatibility tab, it might work!

Good luck

John
Ken Baxter

Post by Ken Baxter »

Hi John. Thanks for your comments. Following your advice, I have gone down the ‘compatibility’ route you outlined, but to no avail. In fact, before I could complete this series of trials, the program stopped working altogether!

All attempts to resuscitate it failed, so the old trick of uninstall/reinstall was employed. Uninstall was successful, but so far reinstallation has failed also. Whether this is because of a fault in the program, the PC, or ‘cos I ‘pushed the wrong buttons’ I know not, so I am putting the whole issue on hold now until my computer guru returns from holiday at the end of the month. I will report the findings after his intervention.

Once again, Peter and John, many thanks for your input, your interest is very much appreciated.

Ken
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

Hi Ken, sorry to hear that your attempts to get things up and running are not working so far, and it does sound to me as if there might be something more sinister going on with your PC.

For what it's worth I've never managed to get more than 7 years use out of a complex modern day computer before it develops some kind of irreparable fault, usually on the motherboard, which throws up all sorts of strange happenings when trying to run programs. I'm not sure how old your PC is, but you mentioned it was upgraded from XP to Win7 so it sounds like it might be time for an upgrade. PC components can run at maximum capability for long periods of time so it's not surprising that over time circuit components can break down. Watching a 'CPU meter' indicating 100% flat-out CPU activity and a core temperature approaching that of critical shutdown whilst rendering a film for 6 hours can be quite worrying!

My current PC is 6 years old *touches wood* but I have renewed the 'if we can't fix it we'll replace it for free' warranty, just in case lightning strikes yet again...!

Hopefully there will be something less terminal happening with your system and your guru will be able to get you going again. Please let us know what happens :)

John
Ken Baxter

Post by Ken Baxter »

Hi John. Your observations are absolutely valid, and I totally agree with you.

My PC had a major overhaul and upgrade in 2010 (as a result of a hard drive failure) and the OS changed to Win 7 in 2014. Apart from the present problem(s) I’ve had no major difficulties in that time (apart from those caused by my own stupid mistakes!), but your 7 year “rule of thumb” could be coming into play here.

In due course, all will be discussed with my expert, and I will report accordingly.

Best wishes

Ken