compatible ink cartridges

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Roy1

compatible ink cartridges

Post by Roy1 »

I have recently been told by a young sales lady in PC World/Currys store that major Printer manufacturers have producers printers that now reject any compatible ink cartridges. Is this true or is it a sales talk to encourage buyers to pay the very high price £76 in Currys for a complete set of 5, EBAY compatible price is £13 post free. I am now using an Epson XP-645 3 in 1 printer. My canon MG 6350 packed up after a cartridge disappeared inside the machine whilst being installed. PC world told me that the printer was sealed and it was impossible to retrieve the cartridge.
any comments welcome.
John Roberts

Re: compatible ink cartridges

Post by John Roberts »

Hi Roy,

They've been telling me this for years, and I've been using compatible ink cartridges for years, both in HP and Epson printers. The only difference I've found between the genuine and compatible inks is that the compatible tends to be water-based, so it can smudge under sweaty fingers. Genuine inks are probably pigment based so don't suffer from this and are generally more resistant to fading. I'm by no means an expert on inks though!

I usually use compatible inks 90% of the time, but if I'm printing out leaflets or brochures for film competitions for example, then I'll buy a genuine black cartridge so no-one comes away with black finger ends! :lol:

I hope you haven't been quoted £76 for a set of replacement cartridges for the Epson? In which case why bother, because you can buy a brand new replacement printer with inks for the same price! How about buying a single compatible cartridge, say a black one for about £6, and popping that in to see what happens. Compatible sets are around £25.

https://www.betterinks.co.uk/browse.cfm ... 0000000693

Hope this helps - John
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Hi John. The price for a genuine set of Epson cartridges for my printer is £76. I was in the middle of printing a cover for a dvd case which was urgently required when the black ink ran out. I had no choice but to go to the local PC World/Curry store and buy a genuine black cartridge at £18. In the meantime I had ordered on Ebay a complete set of compatible inks for £13 inc. free postage but I could not wait for four or five days to complete my printing. It was bank Holiday and so the ordered product would not be shipped until Tuesday ( today). Unfortunately there are no longer any dealers in this area selling compatibles. There were two computer shops but they have now closed.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

1. Never trust what PC world tell you. Of course the cartridge can be retrieved - however the cost of doing so (as it would probably require it going to Canon and being put on a specific jig) would probably not be worth doing so.
2. For years some manufacturers have put chips in their cartridges. The makers of compatible cartridges therefore re-use the cartridges which have the chips.
3. I'm the total opposite of John. I always use genuine cartridges which is one reason I suspect my Canon MP600 bought 10 years ago is still going strong. I have had bad experience of compatibles at schools I support. Cartridges that don't work. Cartridges that leak. Arguably still cheaper if you don't factor in the time wasted replacing them and cleaning up the mess.
4. I also agree that it is often cheaper to throw away and buy a new printer (although cartridges supplied are often "starter cartridges" with reduced capacity) but that's hardly good for the ecosystem.
5. Printers are ridiculously cheap - I suspect sold at a loss with the idea that the manufacturers recoup these in the cost of cartridges.
6. Compatibles can vary enormously. Let's hope yours are a good set, Roy :)
7. Finally, watch your ink levels in future - never be in a position where you need new cartridges and it's a bank holiday!
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Hi. TIM. Thanks for your input which contained a lot of common sense. I think you are right when you say manufacturers supply starter inks with their printers. All the printers I have owned have had to have new inks installed very soon after purchase of the printer. However I have to say I have always used compatible cartridges with no problem at all, mainly Pro-Jet brand. My printers, mostly Epson have failed for other reasons. The biggest problem I have had with Epson is the tray used to print onto CD/DVD blanks. The tray quickly refuses to work. I have managed to prolong its life by lightly sanding underside of the tray but eventually that failed to work. The modern tray used with the XP-654 seems to be a lot better.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

I've always used compatibles since the tiny capacity starter cartridges ran out in my Epson XP625. At 80p each as against the Epson's at just under £11 each, it's a no-brainer. I agree the images fade quicker but only in bright light.
Ken Wilson

Post by Ken Wilson »

I have an Epson 265 printer. I almost always use genuine Epson ones bought from sites on Amazon so usually around £58 for a full set. The fake ones (called "compatible") sometimes work and sometimes don`t. The one issue is that they run out unexpectedy rather than when predicted by the chip in a genuine one. The colours can also sometimes be unpredictable in the fakes and sometimes they will cause an error message meaning you have to take it out and put it back in and then a second time to trick the printer into accepting it. These are ridiculously cheap against the extortionate price that Epson ask but Amazon prices are acceptable, so not worth the hassle buying compatible in my book.