Projectors & Pacemakers

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Peter Copestake

Projectors & Pacemakers

Post by Peter Copestake »

We are delighted with our new Epson EH-TW6700 projector but I have just spent 23 minutes on the phone to Epson, most of the time listening to promotions of printers, trying to find out what "vicinity" means in a warning about medical equipment, including pacemakers. The guy has just said "in the same room" and it depends on the projected image.
Asked if I have to warn the audience he said he'd phone back when he gets the answer!
I expect someone on this forum will know the answer and I might hear from them before then.
Peter, Pendle Movie Makers
Peter Copestake
Dave Watterson

Re: Projectors & Pacemakers

Post by Dave Watterson »

Peter, what made you worry about this?

I have only ever seen a warning about possible problems with pacemakers when wireless projectors are in use - i.e. when the video and sound information is sent to the projector by wireless rather than through cables.

Some people may be aware of slight image flickering, but that would apply to most projectors (film and video) and is connected with their eyesight not medical equipment.

When we are surrounded by mobile phones, microwave ovens, security systems and so on ... pacemakers must be robust enough to cope!

But the joy of this forum is that there may be someone who knows much better and can offer informed advice.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Sounds to me a bit like the "may contain traces of nuts" warning put on just about every food to cover the manufacturers. Of course, this is not at all helpful to someone with a genuine allergy which can be fatal
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

I recently had a Pacemaker fitted. I was warned never to go through an airport security 'arch' (tell them why), not to linger in the doorways of shops with security alarms, to hold a telephone to the ear furthest from the side to that where the pacemaker is fitted, and to keep all heavy electric or electronic gear at least 8 inches away from the pacemaker. No problem working with a PC. No problem cooking (except maybe on an induction stove), no problem using a microwave (as long as it is all 'at arm's length!). Oh - and I can't ever have an MRI scan. On the bright side ... I have a new lease of life - with 9 years before I need to get it replaced (or rather, the batteries renewed...).
Peter Stedman

Post by Peter Stedman »

I had a Pacemaker fitted about 6 years ago and received most of the warnings. However, most had to be disregarded as life could not have carried on otherwise. (My arms are not long enough to operate the microwave oven . . .) So at age 83 I reckon it's all worth the risk and my doctors are very pleased with me.
No doubt I will get run over by a bus now . . .
Pete.
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

I think they're probably 'covering their butts' with all the warnings, do's and don'ts. I had my first check up last week and they said they were going to 'slow it down and speed it up' as part of the check ... and I didn't notice a thing either way. So I wouldn't be able to tell if it was going wrong. The two things they were very adamant about and kept stressing though were Airport security systems (though I'm told they now have security systems capable of coping with pacemaker wearers), and MRI scans - but a special pacemaker can be fitted apparently if there is any likelihood of an MRI scan ever being needed.

I'm 86: my pacemaker (battery) is good now for another 9 years ... so I figured that would well and truly see me out, but they say they're replacing pacemaker batteries - at that hospital - on people between 100 and 106. So - Watch out for those buses Peter! Don't get cut off in your prime!
Peter Copestake

Dave asks -
what made you worry about this?
p 23 in the 146 page manual
Warning !
Electromagnetic interference may cause medical equipment* to malfunction. Before using the device, make sure theree is no medical equipment in the vicinity.
Electromagnetic interference may cause automatically controlled equipment to malfunction which could cause an accident. Do not use the device near automatically controlled equipment such as automatic doors or fire alarms.
* I am sure I saw 'pacemakers' somewhere in the instructions too, but trying to check Epsons instructions on their web site I did find pacemakers included for other models.

I am sure Mike is right but specific instructions like this are useless unless they define 'vicinity'.

I found more info googling pacemakers and find that one should not hold an electric drill, for example, close to ones pacemaker.
Thanks to all repliers.
Peter Copestake
Peter Stedman

Post by Peter Stedman »

Don't forget Mike . . . Let me know when they replace your Pacemaker battery so that I know what to expect. :D :roll:
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Peter - surely yours will be replaced before mine - which is virtually brand new? (Unless you have rechargeables ?? :-) )
I suspect though that the process will be much the same as having it fitted - only less of it as the wires will stay in place I guess.
Peter Copestake

Yesterday, a fortnight after the man at Epson promised to get back to me, he did! Their recommendation is that the person with the pacemaker should keep 20cm. away and not be between the projector and any Wi-fi device that is working with it. So perhaps one should not operate it, I said. That's right, he said.
So now you know that, in this instance, the vicinity apparently has a diameter of 16 inches!
Peter Copestake