conversion lens

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Roy1

conversion lens

Post by Roy1 »

Can anyone tell me where in the UK I can purchase a Wideangle conversion lens for a Panasonic Camcorder with a 49mm filter thread. Or a lens with a bigger screw thread as long as I can get a step up ring from 49mm to whatever size is required.
John Roberts

Re: conversion lens

Post by John Roberts »

Roy, give me an hour or so - I might have the very thing you're looking for languishing in a box somewhere, unused :)
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

Sorry Roy - I've just had a look at the 0.5x converter lens I used on my Panasonic camcorder, but it has a 37mm mount so won't fit on yours :(

I'm sure there are plenty out there with a 49mm back thread but I reckon you will need a recommendation as the quality (and price) can vary wildly. Mine is a Raynox lens and wasn't cheap; it gives 'acceptable' results on my old budget HDC-SD10 camcorder (soft at the extreme edges and some colour fringing) and it took a lot of sharpening and processing in post to get it to reasonably match the quality of the AVCHD clips taken without the converter. There's no way I would use it on the GH3!

I dread to think what results the ~£10 converters give... :shock:

Good luck!
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Thanks John for trying to help. I have located a suitable conversion lens offered by B&H in the USA. The price is at the moment £114 with shipping costs extra at £11. Its a RAYNOX lens and has good reviews by some X920 owners, but of course one doesn't know if these reviews have been made up by the company itself. The main problem is that I don't know what taxes and customs duties will be levied on the lens when it enters the UK. I would much prefer to buy from a retailer in this country. I have dealt with this company before and bought a hood for a LCD screen on the now defunct Sony camcorder. Unfortunately I can't find it and I've never used it. Thanks for your interest.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

When I was heavily into wideangle converter lenses the 660 Raynox lens I had was one of the best, giving far less barrel distortion than the competition .. but at the expense of not allowing a complete zoom-through. The price they're asking seems high though, did they tell you the Raynox model number?
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Worth browsing the Raynox website:

http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/egindex.htm
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

I have given up on buying the Raynox lens from the USA as I can't find out what custom charges will be put on the goods on entering the UK and the total price with shipping cost etc. will make the lens not cost effective. I only want to use the wide angle lens very rarely. I have settled instead for a sale or return trial of the DIGITAL KING DSW PRO 0.7X which has a filter thread of 58 mm so I will use a step up filter ring 49mm to 58mm. I have seen on YouTube a demonstration of several wide angle conversion lens and the Digital King was among them and scored very highly. The cost is £69 post free. This price is very considerably less than the Raynox. I imagine the cost of the Raynox has been effected by the weakness of the pound. Incidently the demonstration mentioned was by a person with no connection with any lens company and all the wide angle lens used were mounted on the Panasonic X920, the same camcorder I am using.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Let us know how the Digital King performs on the Panasonic, as I'm sure there are more people who are in the market for such a lens. Incidentally, the cost of everything has been increased by the weakness of the £, not just Raynox lenses.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65dEOFDplmA&t=17s If you search on YouTube for this URL you should be able to see the test of the wide angle conversion lens with the HCX920 which includes the Digital King. If not search for> Graham Houghton Test of Wide angle conversion lens for Panasonic HCX920. Hope it works.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

I am amazed. I ordered the lens and the step ring yesterday at midday on the phone. I received both today at midday by royal mail 1st class. without any cost to me. Well done Royal mail and of course to the supplier JACK THE HAT. I couldn't wait to try out the lens and it took a while to unwrap the parcel, I've never seen so much protective wrapping in my life, another plus for the supplier. I have to report that the lens performs beautifully. Good resolution , I could not spot any degradation and very importantly NO VIGNETTING at all. Being 90 years old my eyesight is not A1 but I did wear my glasses while testing the lens. To the average videographer I would recommend this conversion lens and I certain would recommend JACK THE HAT for phot0graphic supplies.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Glad to read such good news. Thanks for the update Roy and a cheer for JACK THE HAT too.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

90 and still buying lenses, I'm impressed. I clicked the link to the test and followed it through, but not once did he mention whether the lens elements were coated. I bought one wideangle converter and only the front element (the most important one, and even more so with wideangles that can't be effectively hooded) was coated, but it felt a bit mean on the part of the manufacturer.

He also didn't mention if the lens was a full zoom-through, and this facility can be very useful at times.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Tom. It is not a full zoom through. It will zoom in so far but then loses focus. But I wouldn't need to go to full CU with the lens. I don't know if it is coated or not, but I have just ordered the Menon 16.9 lens hood with a 77mm thread. Although I am 90 years old I am still making videos which you can see both on Tube under RoyfromDurham or on the IAC website under members collections
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Further to my last post. I have checked the specs. of the Digital King wide angle conversion lens and it IS MULTILAYERED AND HAS ANTI-REFLECTIVE COATING.