SD cards

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Roy1

SD cards

Post by Roy1 »

HI. My HDV Sony camcorder has given up the ghost and I sent it to SONY repair dept. only to be told that there are no spare parts for it. Unfortunately I have a cassette tape with shots on for a new video shot with the defunct camcorder and I can't play them on any of my other camcorders to transfer them to my editing PC. I would be grateful if anyone knows how to transfer these 100 odd shots without an HDV camcorder. Now to my main question here. I have bought new Panasonic Camcorder the HCX920 which records to an SD card. I am extremely pleased with this camcorder Low light recordings are really outstanding. Anyway I am using an SDcard which records 32GB. I have noticed that Sandisk offers a 64 GB SDXC memory card. As the Panasonic manual doesn't mention this card as being ok with this camcorder, I am wondering if anyone know if this card the 64GB one will work with this HCX920 camcorder. Thanks for any info.
Roy1

Re: SD cards

Post by Roy1 »

HI. I think some people might like to know that the 64GB SD card does work with the HCX920 camcorder. Although the user manual is not very helpful regarding the use of SD cards, the 200 page manual I looked at on the internet gave me the impression that the 64GB card would work. So I went along to the often maligned PC World and was surprised to be told that if I bought the card from them, they would take it back and make a refund if it didn't work. After making sure they stated this fact in writing, I bought the card and am happy to say that it works perfectly with the camcorder and I have transferred the test shots to Adobe CS5 Premiere and edited a test video.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Thanks for the confirmation, Roy and for a kind word about PC World. (I guess it always depends on the staff whatever shop you visit.)

I am no expert in this area so did not comment, but I think development in storage techniques has gone so fast that it is difficult for manufacturers to keep up. Possibly when the manual was written such cards were not available. I also know that the poor sods who write the manuals never have enough time to check and test everything, let alone as intelligent questions ... it was my profession for many years!
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

They're actual SDXC cards when they hold more than 32 gb, and you were right to check compatibility.