LED lighting green hue

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
edin

LED lighting green hue

Post by edin »

While taking a video in a coal mine I used aTriopo LED panel light, due to size and being battery operated, and the resulting footage when played back had a distinct green hue. The LED light is dimmable and can be adjusted between 3200K and 5600K using alternative rows of LED to create the colour temperature change. I was using the light at the 5600K setting and slightly dimmed, the surrounding area was in blackness and all the surfaces were black also. I know in the past some LED produced a green spike,this is a recent purchase, and although at the low cost end, I thought this effect had been corrected. My question is has anyone else used this type of LED panel light, or any other type of LED light and experienced the same green hue effect in the resulting video? Can you negate the green hue effect by using a -ve green filter over the light?
Michael Slowe

Re: LED lighting green hue

Post by Michael Slowe »

I have used these LED panels, I have one. I generally use it to supplement existing lighting so, with largely daylight from a window I set it at 5600K, with tungsten I set at circa 3300K. I seem to recall that in the past I then set a manual white balance for the camera using a white card. With Sony cameras I find that doing this results in a rather cold image so recently I've taken to using Warm Cards to obtain a warmer image. These are not white but in various shades of blue and I then get a higher Kelvin figure which suits Sony cameras. I've never experienced the green hue effect.
tom hardwick

Re: LED lighting green hue

Post by tom hardwick »

LED lights are cheap to produce, long lasting, efficient, tough and bright. What they don't do (unless you pay lots of money for them) is give an even spread of light throughout the colour spectrum. You've seen it; so have I. The only answer I'm afraid is to spend more money up front, otherwise you'll end up colour balancing for the lit foreground while having to accept odd colours in the background.
tom.