Is my projector a 7 year-old girl?

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Dave Watterson

Is my projector a 7 year-old girl?

Post by Dave Watterson »

Our video projector (I much prefer the Eurospeak term "beamer") runs most nights with an HDMI cable connected to the BluRay player. Today we unplugged from the player and plugged it into a laptop. When set to mirror the laptop screen we did get an image, but coated in pink. While I am happy to take the rosy view of life in general, this is frustratingly wrong for showing pictures.

Laptop = Dell Latitude e6420
Beamer = Optoma dlp machine (cannot see model number as it is ceiling-mounted!)

Any bright ideas?
John Roberts

Re: Is my projector a 7 year-old girl?

Post by John Roberts »

I suggest your projector needs to 'man-up' Dave :lol: Either that or cobble together a Heath Robinson system of a motorised colour correction filter which folds out over the projector lens, operated by an industrial killswitch and accompanied by a showmanship-like maniacal laugh :wink:

In short, I have no idea - but I'm sure someone else will :D
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

I don't pretend to understand all (or any) of the lines on an HDMI signal, but it appears that pins 1-9 are three channels, each positive, negative & ground and although nothing seems to confirm this it looks like each set of three relates to (among other things) R, G & B.

I suspect that either a cable one one of these is broken or a connection on one is poor/faulty.

A "dead" Green channel will cause a magenta cast.

But I may be entirely wrong ...
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Peter B

Post by Peter B »

In my, very limited, experience with video projectors a colour cast is usually caused by a 'lost' channel. So I'd suggest three things, 1: check the cable is plugged in properly, 2: try another cable and 3: try another laptop.
Don't do all these at once though, fault-finding is best done by changing one thing at a time. :-)
(we all know this, but don't always do it!)
My attempts at videos & AV sequences can be found on my website- http://www.dragon-sanctuary.co.uk