BLU RAY RECORDER - PLAYER

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Lee Prescott

BLU RAY RECORDER - PLAYER

Post by Lee Prescott »

Hi,
Does anyone know where one can get a quality Blu Ray Recorder / Player (including the DVD facility)?

I can find heaps of PLAYERS and the odd type pre set for Freeview TV but which apparently have HDMI and connection problems!

Be grateful for any (kind!) suggestions / advice.

Thanks. LEE. :?
Lee Prescott

Re: BLU RAY RECORDER - PLAYER

Post by Lee Prescott »

OK Ta....I've now answered myself!
As the Youngsters around here write: "4get it"!

Keep smiling: LEE. 8) :roll:
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

So what was your answer - to help anyone else in this situation?
Lee Prescott

Post by Lee Prescott »

:D :) :lol: :wink:
So what was your answer - to help anyone else in this situation"?

Aha ha ha....! Dave - you no catchum! Yes I do have / obtained full details of a Blu Ray Recorder/ player....

The Panasonic DMRBWT850! It appears that this is the (current) All Singin' All dancin' "solution"!
It's specification is: if you've gotta spare week to read it all and a 1st. Class degree in Electronic Wizardry:
with 4 opening paragraphs, if you use 6.5 font plus a further 6 pages + just outlining it's specification: I cannot list this here
as I'd need most of the Forum!

However, it commences with "BD-ROM, version 2.4: BD-RE DL. BD-R - BD-R DL: BD-R LTH BD_R DL: DVD: DVD-RAM: etc. etc. with another
24 paragraphs with 89 sub paragraphs. * It will record TV channels 8 days in advance and 7 days "expired". It will also copy within itself and has
a Hard Drive! I am also told that it will copy/record from a Video Camera - probably any!

You can purchase this machine for £599. plus the inevitable 99 pence...(or you can go to Argos and spend £29. plus the inevitable 99 pence -
for just a player)!. The Panasonic is available on a 12 months interest free loan - I am offered.

As an aside re the Panasonic - the Japanese version of the above resembles a sheet of lining paper having been stomped on by a myriad
mad spiders! Oh dear. Whatever happened to Standard and Super 8 cine film? !!! Progress???

LEE. :roll: :?
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Lee,

What do you need this for? I'm wondering whether some sort of custom built PC might do the job better and cheaper.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Lee Prescott

Post by Lee Prescott »

Hello Tim,

"What do I need this for"? ----

I don't do my editing on my PC - I use an up to date Casablanca, (SE6000 Bogart V8.1)a dedicated machine
which I find works, renders and burns DVDs - Blu Ray at about 20 times faster than the usual PC does based on
rendering of a project of 1 hours length - obviously much faster for shorter projects. I've used Casablanca's since 1995
It is also simple to use and by far less trouble as opposed to the various PC programmes - from what I read!

The Casablanca will play back DVDs and Blu Ray discs plus the rest and place these in projects for editing BUT therein lies a "Fault"
in that if one uses it in this way all projects queued in the burning system are replaced, (not from the actual editing system),
but it would mean reloading the queued projects be it one or thirty one which is its maximum! Usually input to the Casablanca
is from either the card from the camera, tape from a camera, USB sticks etc . *** I can / could also achieve input from
an independent DVD or Blu Ray player "direct" as opposed to the above by Firewire or HDMI. and also the past S-VHS / VHS connections.

So I thought that if I had a Blu Ray Recorder - Player, (including DVD), I could not only replace the two DVD machines I've had for a long time
but use it to make copies of Blu Ray discs [and DVDs] and also have it connected to the domestic TV for domestic recording and playback purposes.

LEE. :D