Davince Resolve 12

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Roy1

Davince Resolve 12

Post by Roy1 »

Some people are raving about this product which is now a full blown NLE. the basic version is Free. I have downloaded it and the editing section is very much like Vegas and Premiere . However as some people are touting it as a replacement for Vegas should that go dead, I cannot find anyway that Resolve captures shots from a Camera ( it imports from other NLE's captures, I think) and also it doesn't give any method of making a DVD .
Does anyone know anything about this product?
TimStannard

Re: Davince Resolve 12

Post by TimStannard »

I had a play last year. I was very impressed - particularly with the ease with which one could track a part of the image in order to apply correction to just that part.

However you are correct that it does not capture from cameras and neither does it produce DVDs. It is a colour correction/grading program that has developed into a useful editor.

Even Vegas doesn't actually capture. As users we are somewhat protected from this but when capturing in Vegas, a separate program "vidcap" is actually launched. Similarly Vegas MS has very limited DVD authoring capabilities, more flexible authoring requires use of another program, such as DVD Architect or DVD Architect Studio, often sold alongside Vegas/Movie Studio.

I think I'm correct in that only tape based systems require capturing nowadays and therefore it is unlikely developers will bother with extending new NLE's to include that. Any tape based cameras will (or should) have software which will allow their output to be captured to a format suitable for ingesting into an NLE.

As for DVDs, again this is a dying market (or so the manufacturers would have us believe) and the manufacturers view would be (a) why force everyone to pay for DVD authoring when only a proportion will even want to use it? and (b) keeping DVD authoring separate will allow the user to choose their own authoring program rather than be tied to the one uincluded within the NLE. Of course, the cynic within me says that the real reason is that by eliminating DVD authoring the manufacturers can bring their product to marker much sooner.

Realistically with so many different types of media and so many different targets, any attempt to make a "one size fits all" product like Pinnacle Studio, which makes basic assumptions about what the user wants to do, is bound to be a Jack of All Trades and a Master of None.

No longer are we employing one man (or woman) to replace our bathroom, but we're employing a plumber, electrician, plasterer, decorator, carpenter etc. All very good at doing their specific job.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Roy1

Re: Davince Resolve 12

Post by Roy1 »

Thanks Tim for confirming what I surmised. I won't be using Resolve if I have to use my existing NLE's to capture camera shots and to make DVD's etc.