saving part of Timeline

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Roy1

saving part of Timeline

Post by Roy1 »

HI. I'm afraid this is another strange request for info. I use two NLE programmes Vegas MS10 platinum HD. and also Adobe Premiere CS5.
What I want to know is_ Is it possible to save a part of the timeline ON Vegas so it can be used on Adobe. The reason is I've manufactured a new logo and new sound to proceed my videos and it in place on the new video I am working on. It is the logo That I want to save on its own. I can save it for use again using a new project on VMS but I can't copy and paste it to a flash drive for eventual transfer to another editing PC using Adobe. Reason why you may ask. To me its simple, I find the audio FX on VMS superior to Adobe, but I can't get the hang of using Archetect to make a BLu ray disc, never could. So I transfer the video from VMS to Adobe premiere and then to encore which is extremely simple to use. I then Burn with IMGburn. So basically what I want to know, how, if possible, can I copy and paste the new logo to a flash drive. This in in case I edit a new video on Adobe only.
Michael Slowe

Re: saving part of Timeline

Post by Michael Slowe »

Roy, your problems can all be solved by exporting whatever it is that you wish to transfer, by way of a QT.mov file if you can, or whatever type of file your system will recognise. Everything nowadays seems to be dealt with by files and I'm becoming reconciled to this. So, if you export the item as a file, keep it on a drive somewhere, even on your editing computer and then re import it into the application that has your different timeline. Personally I export my files in the ProRes codec but that's an Apple codec and if you're using a PC you probably have to use a different one. Let's see what other replies you get!
ned c

Post by ned c »

I have Vegas Studio 13 so hope this will apply to v10. Mark the in and out points of the selected section of the timeline, activate by clicking on the top of the timeline, the selected section will turn blue. Go to "Project" select "Make Movie"; a window will open with a selection,, click on "Save to my hard drive", a new window will open with a selection of formats, for 1920x1080 select AVCHD there are also "advanced options" which opens another window with a range of options. If you use the AVCHD option note the destination folder and then press "next" your selection will then be rendered and located in the specified file. You can then import from the file into other projects, it will be an m2ts file. Hope this helps.

ned c
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

Hi Roy,

Just to add to Ned's post; under the big window that shows the various formats you can render your export as, there should be something called "Render options." Adjacent to this there will be a tick box visible that's entitled "Render loop region only" and this should already be ticked.

When this box is ticked, MS will render only what has been selected in the loop region, i.e. what Ned told you to do in his post with the 'in' and 'out' points. Therefore you can select just part of your timeline to export as a file instead of the entire project which is what would happen if this box isn't ticked. Because you have already set the 'in' and 'out' points of the loop if you followed Ned's instructions, the box should be ticked by default because MS assumes this is what you want to do. It's worth double checking though before you start your export :D

This is exactly how I make my own production logo, which is part of a separate project; I simply change the year and render another high quality .mp4 file to drop into whatever film I am making during that year.

Hope this helps :D
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Thank you MICHAEL for your info and will look into whether I can use what you suggest. NED. Thank you for your information and by following your advice I have successfully saved the section of the timeline I required i.e. the new Logo and I have been able to transfer it to another PC and put it on the timeline of an Adobe CS5 programme. Thanks again. JOHN thanks for your timely advise and will of course use it each time I save from the timeline.