File breaks in long SD card recording

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Peter Stedman

File breaks in long SD card recording

Post by Peter Stedman »

I know this has been discussed before but it had passed me by. Both myself and a colleague have videoed stage shows of an hour plus on Sony cameras with SD cards. Naturally we have discovered that the recordings have been split into section (as we had heard about) but on the time line they certainly don’t seamlessly join together but have a very distinct ‘glitch’ in both sound and picture. Try as we may we can’t seem to correct this. Is there a special ‘secret’ to easily correct this? I'm using Premiere CS6.
Many thanks. Pete.
col lamb

Re: File breaks in long SD card recording

Post by col lamb »

Use the utility that the camcorder manufacturer produces to import the video from the SD card.
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Peter Stedman

Post by Peter Stedman »

Thanks very much Col for the information. Hope you will forgive this very aged old boy, but I assume I would go to Sony web site to find the item, but is there a name of this utility that I should search for? Any further gen would be appreciated.

As a follow up, I recorded a long show last Saturday and imported the clips to the time line - everything was perfect. Not a single glitch between the files. Very odd??

Thanks again.

Pete.
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Peter, I film on the Sony EX 1 camera and this problem is addressed by them but I've never had to worry because I switch cards in time. The Sony software used to be Sony Transfer for my XDCAM but is now all covered under new software called Browser or similar.

If you do get a slight 'glitch' surely you could cover it with a cut away. Get some shots of the audience or a wide shot of the stage and cover it that way. As the Meocat says in the adverts, "simple".
Peter Stedman

Post by Peter Stedman »

Thanks Michael. For my own first long project I did manage to cover these join points with bits from camera 2. However, my colleague only has footage from one camera so he has nothing with which to cover up the joins.

As mentioned in my second posting, with my latest project the joins between the files were invisible so there is no problem at all.

Thanks again for your reply. Pete