Windows 10

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
stubie

Windows 10

Post by stubie »

I use Serif MoviePlus X6 on a Windows 7pro PC and I would like to know if anyone has used this programme on Windows 10 and been successful.
John Roberts

Re: Windows 10

Post by John Roberts »

Sorry, I don't use that editor, but if it helps I have recently upgraded to Win10 and all my programs runs fine without exception. The only hiccup I had was a recent Win10 update upset my CorelDRAW install (2003 version!) and I had to re-install it from CD-ROM, but it appears to work fine now.

Took me a while to configure Win10 so that it looked and operated similarly to Win7 and I actually feel quite comfortable swapping between the two.

Hope this helps?
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Win 7 Pro ended up a very stable system.

What benefits are you expecting with W10?

If you do upgrade do a full backup using something like Acronis before upgrading.

I upgraded a Win 8 laptop because W 8 is dire but it was stable now Win Exp freezes from time to time, all other progs work.

There is no way I am upgrading my Win 7 Pro editing PC, that is asking for trouble
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

col lamb wrote:There is no way I am upgrading my Win 7 Pro editing PC, that is asking for trouble
Totally agree! My music studio/video editing PC is running Win7 and will stay that way until it breaks!

My other PC was upgraded to Win10 and runs exactly the same programs (because sometimes I have a need to run two resource-hungry programs simultaneously) and also runs without issue, but as regards any system upgrade: if it ain't broke - don't fix it! :D
stubie

Post by stubie »

Thanks John & Col for your replies. I get the Computer/Active magazine every 2 weeks and there seems to be a lot of correspondence complaining about the arrogant way Microsoft bullies Windows 7 & 8 users into downloading updates and installing them without permission. Does anyone in IAC land use Serif MoviePlus editing programmes and if they have reluctantly been forced to upgrade to W10 does the programme work bearing in mind that the MoviePlus programmes are only 32 bit versions.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

No direct experience, but I can probably test this for you some time over the next two weeks.(I have access to MP6x).

My own upgrade to Windows 10 was painless and it seemed everything worked for a couple of months. Then I needed to record a piano chord stab to add to a soundtrack. SO I fired up my DAW of choice (Tracktion) and ... Arghhh, most of my instrument VSTs (32bit) had disappeared. Strange because th same VSTs are visible and work within Sony Acid Pro. Bear in mind my previous version of Windows was Win 7 64 bit, so I was a bit surprised. I HAVE managed to get them back (I won't bore you with the details, but it was a little convoluted).

Other than that, no problem.

Note to John R who is the most likely to be interested in this - the instruments I "lost" were from IK Multimedia. I also have a number of Native Instruments VSTS which I still cannot get to work - although I haven't had the need to use them so the incentive has not been there.

All experiments with 64bit VSTs have been fine.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
stubie

Post by stubie »

Thanks Tim, I await the outcome.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Hi stubie,
I've got the software and am awaiting a chance to load it. My computer is currently in the middle of an 11 hour render - I kid you not - so I'm not going to risk loading software at the same time. (And this is only a pre-render of source footage, although there's a fair amount of colour correction and use of Neat Video which is the main culprit. Fortunately a new PC is on the horizon)
Anyway, just thought I'd let you know I hadn't forgotten you :)
Tim
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Good news for stubie - Serif MoviePlux X6 Digital Edition appears to work fine on my Windows 10 Pro system.
I ran a test project with mixed media including AVCHD 1080i footage from a Nikon D810, MXF MPEG2 4:2:2 1080p 50Mbps footage from a Canon XF100 and 4K footage from a Panasonic GH4, added an effect to one, added a dissolve between two clips, added a "3D swap" transition between two others added some animated titles over the top and exported to a 1080p mp4.
All worked very well.

The 4K surprised me as it's not meant to handle it!

As this is the Digital Edition, it does not have the facility to create DVDs so i cannot vouch for that.

If there are any more specific tests you'd like me to run, let me know ASAP as I'll be removing the software (it's not mine and I've only loaded it for testing purposes)
Tim
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Thanks, Tim !
stubie

Post by stubie »

Thanks Tim - so far so good.
I have the full version of MPX6 which includes the Menu Designer for producing DVDs.
But I am sure it will work ok as you have proved that the programme works in W10.
I am surprised that it handles 4k but that is something for the future as I don't intend
going in that direction for some time.
Can't think of any further tests to run so happy with your result and will update to W10
sometime in the new year when I hope all teething problems will be ironed out
but I won't hold my breath!
Seasons greetings.
Stubie
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Remember

Before updating to Win 10, backup your boot drive with good software like Acronis and not Microsofts own which may result in a conflict if you need to restore Win 7.
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb