Sony Vegas Pro - I have backed another loser!!

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
ned c

Sony Vegas Pro - I have backed another loser!!

Post by ned c »

I have recently experienced problems loading 50 mbps 4.2.2. clips from my JVC GY HM170 to Vegas Pro 13 and after much correspondence they agreed that they will not open in VP 13 and recommended that I download Catalyst which will open them. There is a hint that Vegas Pro's days are over at v 13 and a new suite of editing software has appeared, now cross platform. I downloaded a trial version of Edius 8 which does open the files. Whichever way I look it seems that another new software is in my future. I do not want to enter the cloud with a subscription service. I am trying to work in 4K origination. Comments, suggestions, recommendations, help!!! Please

ned c
TimStannard

Re: Sony Vegas Pro - I have backed another loser!!

Post by TimStannard »

I understand your frustration and as you are aware, I too am concerned that it appears Vegas is not going to be developed. But as for having backed another loser? You've had several years of enjoyment with Vegas. It worked fine with the stuff you bought it for. It is you who has moved the goalposts by buying a new camera. I don't want to appear smug, but I did take the precaution of checking footage with my camera (Canon XF100 - also 50mbps 4.2.2) before buying the camera and Vegas seems to love the footage. Perhaps with a subscription based model it is reasonable to expect software to be continually be updated to match new developments. but unlike you and me, Ned, many people didn't bother upgrading Vegas and so SCS's income reduced (Perhaps their pricing model was partly to blame as there was no penalty in upgrade costs if one skipped a couple of versions).

As I understand it the underlying architecture of Vegas is extremely dated and a complete rewrite is overdue. Speculatively, SCS have taken the opportunity to develop the Catalyst suite which is for both PC and Mac. Hopefully Catalyst Edit will come somewhere near the power of Vegas in due course, at least before I have a camera that Vegas cannot handle.

Before investing money in new software, but more importantly lots of time in becoming familiar with it, I suggest you think very hard about transcoding your footage with something like Handbrake into something Vegas can handle and keep an eye on software developments.

Whatever you go with, Ned, I'm sure you'll miss the wonderful audio capabilities of Vegas as I doubt anything else will match those.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
ned c

Post by ned c »

Thanks Tim. There is a somewhat reassuring message on the Vegas Pro Forum (September 16th) that it does have a future so will hold on in hope. You are correct that the sound management is excellent and the solid integration with Sound Forge a very big plus. One of the major camera CoDecs is ProRes in its various forms and it is interesting that Catylist Edit will only handle them in the Mac version. Transcoding using Browser results in a 4.2.0 AVCHD version, not what I want. My solution is to shoot everything in 4K UHD at 150 mbps and down res to HD for release. The JVC camera is remarkably good value and I have installed the upgrade that permits 4K recording at 70 mbps for a slightly reduced quality (plus a histogram) and there is a new upgrade that gives 120 fps. OK; so I didn't do due diligence when I bough the camera but read the specs and assumed that a .mov file (obviously a vague description in reality) would be acceptable. Strange that the VP13 reads the 4K version but not the HD 50. When I went from FCP to VP I did check that I could open the backlog of ProRes files I had in the archive. Live and learn!

ned c
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Ned, I think that we have discussed this fairly recently, but, as I told you, Media 100 are running an offer of $99 for their latest version. I know that in the past you tried Media 100 but it really is a wonderful editing application. Almost any current codec or camera original media can be accommodated and it might well be worth your while trying it once again.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

The $99 is fine. The cost of the Mac might be a bit prohibitive for giving something a try. (Unless, of course, ned still has his old Mac and it's up to spec)
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
ned c

Post by ned c »

My Mac has been passed to a granddaughter who uses it in the real world of work so I cannot ask for it back! However; I have decided to live with Vegas Pro for the present. They have the details of my experience and sample clips so hope that may help a future version.

Thanks Tim & Michael.

ned c